Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Current & Past "Hot Gear"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current & Past "Hot Gear"

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Current & Past "Hot Gear"

Remember the Squier '51, the Epi Valve Jr and the Vox Valvetronix amps? I thought the Epi Valve Jr sounded terrible, so I never got one. The other two I had though.

Those are three examples I can think of regarding "hot gear" in the past, at least on TheFret.Net. Many purchased these things, and many probably still have them. I still regret selling my Squier '51.

What other "hot items" can we recall? Maybe the Crate Powerblock? Squier Vintage Modified, but that's a whole series of guitars.

So what are the current hot items on the scene? I was expecting the VHT Special 6 to be the next hot thing, but I don't think it really took off for some reason.

I have been waiting for more software-based solutions to become popular, but that doesn't seem to be happening. The Kemper Profiling Amp is a killer solution, no doubt. I loved it when I tried it, but it's too expensive for most people.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. Most of my gear is comprised of the 'it' gear from one time or another. I guess I'll start with that:

Agile LP copy
    Jet City amph
    Fender Mustang amph
    Zoom G3 (does this count?)

Other stuff that I can remember:

Classic Vibe teles
    Bad Monkey
    DVM Zonkin Yellow Screamer
    Joyo pedals?
    Pod HD500?

Uh...anything else? Surely there are more fads that have passed through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I obviously still have my Squier 51. That and the AD30VT were the big things right about the time I joined here. I'm glad I never got rid of my 51, although I did find the need to mod it. I think you hit on the big ones.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Jet City amps were pretty hot for a while.

Bad Monkey! Yeah, that was caused numerous nods for sure. I forgot about that one. Cool pedal.

Classic Vibe Telecasters, yeah that's true. Most of all the Vintage Modified Squires are great.

There was an "SX" moment too... I bought a couple of SX guitars from Rondo. Dirt cheap and quality was so-so.

The Egnater Rebel was popular too, I remember. Marshall Class 5 was hot too, but I disliked the one I had. Perhaps the newer versions are better.

So what's Hot'n New these days?

Fender keeps updating their Stratocaster line quite often. They seem to all be very, very nice guitars, but I can't keep the models apart anymore... there's just too many!

Gibson? Dunno about them - they are off my radar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the new it guitar is The Hell line with B.N. pups for the coin thats alot of guitar!

Post Thanks / Like

Way back in the day......there were Palomino 8W tube amps that got a lot of love around these parts.....Palomino made a 32W version too I think. IIRC, Crate bought out Palomino.

I 2nd the vote that HELL guitars makes a bad-a** git. Serious GAS for those babies, especially with a 16" radius which is great for slide work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Reverend Guitars. They have stepped up their designs lately and the quality has always been solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah revs seem hot. I think Classic Vibes are still hot too in the budget category.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

YES!!! These are some excellent instruments. You get a lot of guitar for the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Reverend Guitars. They have stepped up their designs lately and the quality has always been solid.

Post Thanks / Like

WHAT?!? You mean you never had a Hermida Zendrive on your board??
    I remember that being the "hot" pedal of the day. I got sucked into the hype.

Post Thanks / Like

For the well-heeled and borderline insane cork-sniffer: ORIGINAL Klon Centaur pedals ($1000 and up)

For the more fiscally responsible and mentally stable player: "Klone" pedals

Speaking of pedals, I'd put almost anything from Strymon in the "hot" category. Those people are just flat on fire....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Of course a famous pedal with the letters ZYS had a moment of fame too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Of course a famous pedal with the letters ZYS had a moment of fame too...
    Moment? MOMENT?????
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    .....Speaking of pedals, I'd put almost anything from Strymon in the "hot" category. Those people are just flat on fire....
    Given I own both the Flint and the absolutely unbelievable El Capistan, I wholeheartedly agree. These will be as rare and expensive as the equipment they emulate some day.

But yeah on topic. Perhaps anything by Zvex? Are they/he still a thing? I have a clone SHO I made a few years ago. Really useful little pedal that one.

Oh and the Boomerang III. Dunno if they were a hot item when they came out, but they should be. I've blown mine up twice (my own fault, dodgy power supply I built) and rebuilt it twice. So in effect, I've bought the same pedal three times. (I actually just bought the boards and repaired them, but you get what I'm saying). That's how good they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let's not forget 'V-Picks'!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, Strymon just can't get it wrong. They really stand out in a crowded industry.
    I'll add Wampler to the best original pedals category, too.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Kemper and AxeFX are both still pretty hot. Line 6 M13/M9 also had their day and are kind of a big thing still.

Perhaps also Scuffham S-Gear modeling software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Eleven Rack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Past hot gear? I gotta +1 Epi's Valve Jr. I'll also throw in a nomination for Roland's Micro Cube.

I was an early adopter of the MC and adored its portability, features, effects, etc. I was also living in a cramped downtown apartment -- it arrived at the perfect time in my life.

But what quashed the MC's momentum was the arrival of the VJr. The VJr was refreshing, elegant, moddable, affordable, photographable, and IT HAD TUBES! I can't recall another amp getting more attention from 2005-2006. And I can't recall an Epiphone-exclusive product being the jewel in Gibson's crown. Everyone who knew anything about guitars had had one eye on the VJr.

I didn't pick up a VJr, although I test drove them constantly at Long & McQuade. I found the VJr too raw and surprisingly loud for my taste, but I was definitely attracted to its price, simplicity of design and IT HAD TUBES!

The arrival of the VJr meant my MC's days were numbered. By the time I dumped my MC, the VJr's success spawned a tidal wave of desirable bedroom amps. I ended up buying a refurbished AC4TV and I still play that today. In fact, I was noodling with it 20 minutes ago.

The AC4 was 'it'-ish for a couple of months, but it couldn't become a true sensation like the Micro Cube or Valve Jr.

Oh, then the Vox Night Train pulled into the station. It didn't make a tonal splash but it sure upped the ante for amp design overnight. Who didn't want a Night Train at first site?

Anyways...
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast