Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Holy !%#?$@!....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy !%#?$@!....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holy !%#?$@!....

....it works!! And first time I plugged into it, too!

I'm referring to the "Build Your Own Clone" TS-808 Tube Screamer overdrive pedal kit I bought & built. If you have decent soldering skills and you can follow directions, you can do it, too. Lots of fun, I might add, if you're a little on the geeky side, like me.

It even comes with two different IC chips--the stock TS-808's JRC4558D and a "high fidelity" RC4558P chip that several of the "boutique" pedal makers use--and an IC socket so that you can swap 'em at will.

The thing sounds great; plenty of grind on tap, but without sounding harsh or grainy. Very impressive.

Here are some pix and a couple of clips. I haven't painted/labeled the casing yet, but will probably get to that at some point. The clips were recorded using my LP and my Strat, played through the Tweed 4x10 model on my AD30VT. Gain setting on the amp was just under half, so that it would stay fairly clean. The LP clip has three pairs of riffs--the first in each pair is without the TS clone, and the second with it. I finished up the clip with the start of my latest EVH learning project, the first part of Panama.

For the Strat clip, I played the lead-in to SRV's Pride & Joy, first clean, then with the TS clone at about 60% gain, then a third time at full gain.

LP Clip

Strat Clip

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Way freakin' cool Vood! I was just going to dig up that ol' BYOC thread & ask if you had made any progress.

You did a nice clean job & holy $@#%^^$ it sounds great.

Do you have any design plans for the box?

Cause y'know...if *I* had a vote...

I'd call it Mojo Hand.

I can just see you going into the boutique pedal biz:

Voodoo Pedals!
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 30th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That is great, VDM. It's so fun to make your own stuff, and of course especially when it works really great too. Congrats.

Now you gotta paint it in some fun colors! Take a look at www.drscientist.ca for inspiration.... hehe... or not.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is really cool! How good at soldering do you have to be? I am not, but I can learn.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great DVM, but the "Voodoo Screamer" needs some yellow paint!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops, I forgot that there already is a company called Voodoo Lab which makes pedals.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool DVM, nice paying as well !. Yup, gotta name that puppy and give the case some flash.... I like tot's mojo reference.. maybe .. " Voodoo Mojo Box " you can paint it red and glue some chicken bones on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback & name ideas, guys. Some really good ones there, plus I thought up a couple, too. Maybe I can prevail upon on of our gracious admins to set up a poll for me, and all you Fretters could vote on which name you like best!

So far, here's what I've got:

Mojo Hand (Tot)

Voodoo Screamer (SS)

Voodoo Mojo Box (ted s)

And a couple of my own:

Duh Voodoolizer

Voodoo Blue-Do

Witch Doctor

Any more to add to the list?

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo Screamer... (with chicken bones of course)

Post Thanks / Like

i've seen t-shirts with a mojo hand logo...so that's taken....
    http://www.mojohand.com/2alrightm.htm

and of course voodoo itself is already taken....so.....

How about combining voodoo and mojo and call it a vooJo?

ww
    Last edited by warren0728; December 31st, 2006 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I just listened to your clips and I have to tip my hat off to you. I think you did an excellent job putting that pedal together and it sounds great to these ears. I never heard of these kits until your post and you've gotten me awfully curious now to try my had at building one. Please post back again with pictures of how you painted the pedal. I'd like to see the finished product.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Very cool DVM, nice paying as well !. Yup, gotta name that puppy and give the case some flash.... I like tot's mojo reference.. maybe .. " Voodoo Mojo Box " you can paint it red and glue some chicken bones on it.
    Chicken head knobs....*REAL* chicken heads!!!

OK, OK, but go with ted_s & use bones for knobs.

At the very least Vood, label the gain knob

"Mojo"

And under that put an arrow with the word "more" in the direction of "more Mojo".

You can dial in just the right amount of Mojo & when you need more Mojo, well then you've got it on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Any more to add to the list?
    If we had a vote....
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; December 31st, 2006 at 05:50 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, StingX.

For any of you who might be inclined to try one of these kits, I recommend them highly, but realize that they involve a LOT of fine soldering work. Every resistor, capacitor, diode, transistor, etc. that you see on that green PCB had to be soldered into place, as well as every wire. The board is set up nicely with small metal eyelets for every solder point. The toughest part is the very small size of the space you have to work with. I just took my time and double checked every solder joint that I did, and everything worked out fine. But be forewarned--THIS IS NOT A GOOD PROJECT FOR LEARNING TO SOLDER!!

In addition to giving you two slightly different IC chips, they also give you (1) two different kinds of diodes so, that you can alter the stock symmetrical clipping mode to different degrees of assymetrical clipping, and (2) two different capacitors for one of the board's cap positions, which alter the tone. The stock cap (0.047 uf) gives a midrange "hump" that is apparently characteristic of the original TS-808, and the second (0.22 uf) flattens out the frequency response some and gives significantly stronger bass.

The difference between the two IC's is quite subtle, to my ears, with the stock chip being a bit sharper in its tone than the "hi-fi" chip that's also included. The stock chip has a little more aggressive edge to it that I prefer.

I went with the most assymetrical clipping that I could get from the two types of diodes provided, after reading that the assymetric clipping was (a) more tube-like in character, and (b) SRV preferred it! Reading through the BYOC forum, the most common mods of the TS-808 clone involve mounting different types of diodes (including yellow LED's!) on a small piece of perfboard (available at Radio Shack) and wiring them up to a 3-position DPDT toggle switch, allowing you to switch between clipping modes. I may try that at some point, but I'm happy with the sound I've got for now.

I initially installed the larger cap for the stronger bass response (that's what you hear in the first clips I posted), but I decided after playing through it for a couple of hours that it was too bassy/boomy, so I switched to the smaller stock cap today. Much stronger midrange! And since the guitar is basically a midrange instrument (at least it is, the way I like to hear it!), I think it sounds much better. The big cap definitely tended toward muddiness on chords down at the end of the neck. A cap of a rating in between the two (like 0.10 uf) would be interesting to try; might give a nice compromise between the two extremes. I may very well try that.

Posted below is a link to a clip I recorded to show the difference between the two IC's (listen carefully!) and between the two caps (very obvious). These are recorded with my Epi Dot on the bridge p'up through my Vox AD30VT, using the Tweed 4x10 model and some reverb. The same riffs are repeated four times. The sequence of hardware is:

1. RC4558P IC + 0.22 uf cap
    2. JRC4558D IC (stock) + 0.22 uf cap
    3. JRC4558D IC (stock) + 0.047 uf cap (stock)
    4. RC4558P IC + 0.047 uf cap (stock)
    Take a listen & see what you think:

http://duhvoodooman.com/audio_clips/TS_Clone_test.mp3

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Chicken head knobs....*REAL* chicken heads!!!
    LOL!! Now that would get some attention!

OK, OK, but go with ted_s & use bones for knobs.
    Cool idea. Know anybody who sells bone knobs??

At the very least Vood, label the gain knob "Mojo"
    Now, that's a keeper of an idea!

If we had a vote....
    Hey, this time you do! And the other Fretters, too!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like if I want the TS 808 unit like yours, I might be better off getting it assembled for $115.00 ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

How about "Duh Voodoo Stomp?"

Looks great, DVM. I wish I had the soldering talent that you have!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Mojo Screamer.

& the light'll tell you if your mojo's workin'.

Turning up the mojo gets your mojo risin'.

For the geeks in the house.

Tube Screamer's Secret:

http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html

The Technology of the Tube Screamer:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...ch/tsxtech.htm
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; January 1st, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, sweet tones and the build just looks super professional!

I like Da Voodoolizer! How about some glow in the dark skull knobs?

http://www.customshopparts.com/knobs/
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Sounds like if I want the TS 808 unit like yours, I might be better off getting it assembled for $115.00 ;-)
    I originally thought that since these DIY units are already priced at $75 bucks that to spend a few more to get one already built is a no brainer. I paid under $100 for my TS9 and then another $45 bucks to have it modified at keeley electronics. I think though, that this is not really about money, it's more to hone skills and the ability to take this to another level. I have an interest because I like experimenting with tone and would love to mutate these projects into something else that you can't buy off the rack. Plus the satisfaction one gets after completing the build is a nice feeling. Good on you, duhvoodooman. I really like how it ended up and the sound is great.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast