Thread: Sun Valley Vacation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sun Valley Vacation

I should probably PM Steve directly on this one, but maybe others will be interested too.

I talked to the wife and we want to take our family vacation at Sun Valley to do some Mt. biking and hiking.

She finishes her school year in mid-June and we would probably go in July.

I wanted to ask our local SV guru, Steve, about good places to camp and ride?

Will July be too hot?

Good trails for a 9-year old boy to ride?

All advice will be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be plenty for the whole family to do. Check out the schedule of events for the area via the Chamber of Commerce or just Google Sun Valley/Ketchum summer events. It might be busy in town so you'll want to book rooms well in advance or secure a campsite.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Sun Valley Vacation

I will write up a whole deal for you in a while. I can certainly steer you toward good options. That is quite exciting!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Should be plenty for the whole family to do. Check out the schedule of events for the area via the Chamber of Commerce or just Google Sun Valley/Ketchum summer events. It might be busy in town so you'll want to book rooms well in advance or secure a campsite.
    We'd be camping in our little trailer. The FS campgrounds that I found don't take reservations.

I'm hoping to camp near mt. biking trailheads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    We'd be camping in our little trailer. The FS campgrounds that I found don't take reservations.

I'm hoping to camp near mt. biking trailheads.
    I am working on some options for you and want to help but feel I need to talk to you directly a little to help steer things. I sent you an email to the email you listed with the board as you don't have PM's set up with my number, or you can PM me with your number so we can make some cool plans!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey NW, where you at? PM me or email me with a number so we can chat!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. E-mail and phone number sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason, make sure to bring Steve some good Washington beer. Maybe some good Oregon beer as well.
    Looking forward to a full report when you get back!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, I have collected some good camping info and map info for you that I can send or email. Might be easier to snail mail as some of it is two sided. Can you email me or PM me an address?

In the meantime, here is a semi-dorky vid put out by some guys I know that are part of the coalition that markets the mountain biking in the area. It is the second in the series of advertisements for a contest they are running, but has a bit more riding in it, in between the silly marketing. The premise is a disease known as Single Track Deficit Disorder, or STDD, and obviously the cure will be a visit to SV with all the sweet single track around. The main guy is known by his nickname "Chopper" and is pretty funny in person. He helps head up the big bikefest that comes to town in late June/Early July.

I think your plan of after the 4th and after the bike fest is out of town will be the best for you for camping. I will circle some stuff on the map of local camping I found for you to check out. Cheers!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'll PM ya Steve for some info.

Chopper used to have a monthly article in bike magazine. I thought he was a hilariously funny dude, until his wife wrote one of his articles. SHE had me busting my gut with laughter.

I'm getting really busy with work and am going to try to squeeze this one in. Too bad that our little RV doesn't have a generator or I could shake the valley with my bass rig.

Cheers,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Jason, make sure to bring Steve some good Washington beer. Maybe some good Oregon beer as well.
    Looking forward to a full report when you get back!
    Yeah, some Warogen beer!

He deserves some for all the help he's provided.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Yeah, some Warogen beer!

He deserves some for all the help he's provided.
    Always happy to help a fellow fretter. And I am proud of our little mountain biking community and like to help people discover it. Warogen beer! Sweet! My favorite!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, I never saw an email with a mailing address. I still have that camping info if you would like it! Here is an article about the recent Enduro Race on Baldy that kicked of the Bike Fest week that is in town now. http://www.bikemag.com/events/featur...-super-enduro/

The place is full of retailers and demos and events etc., and full of bicycle people. Very fun vibe!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I sent you an e-mail.

Now that things are getting super-busy at work, I'm wondering if I can get away. It looks like I might be able to make it there in mid-August.

Thanks much for everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got it. Hope to see you when you are able to get here. I will mail that camping info.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be leaving on the morning of August 11th and staying for a week. Probably take a day trip up to the Sawtooths for some fishing too.

Any beer preferences Steve?