Thread: Inside Pop - The Rock Revolution (1967 TV special)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Inside Pop - The Rock Revolution (1967 TV special)

Found this last night and suspect a lot of people here might enjoy it.

It's a 1967 CBS television special hosted by legendary conductor Leonard Bernstein giving a very thorough examination of pop music as a serious art form. Interviewees include Frank Zappa, Brian Wilson, Graham Nash and many other musicians of the era.

I might also add that it's pretty disheartening that this sort of thing used to be broadcast on network television and now you'd never find anything even remotely like it even on the cable networks that allege to be about music.

This is something far different than even the more interesting "Classic Albums" type documentaries. This is much more of an academic approach, considering pop music as high art. Can't help but wish there was more of this and less "reality" on television.

One note, the video is far from a pristine release from the CBS vault. It was clearly converted from somebody's very well worn VHS tape. The subject matter was interesting enough for me that while I won't lie and say I didn't notice the tape skips, they were easily ignored.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Bernstein never did get around to explaining why he likes it and others don't besides the kids and artists that is.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb