Thread: Hendrix - Bending Strings, Bending my MIND!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hendrix - Bending Strings, Bending my MIND!

Below are some guitar lead techniques I'm not very clear about from a Hendrix biography*. If anyone has a suggestions, I'd be grateful.

Jimi would also play a bent note on one string bent up and then play the second note on another string on the way down from the first bend.
    Example given: during Message from Nine to The Universe (on LP of same name).
    do they mean like what happens 5:11 to 5:15 or 5:59 to 6:08?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhBMntUekA4

Another bend technique was to bend one string and fret on a note on second string, but play both notes together during the actual bend - like during the introduction to Highway Chile
    What does it mean, to "fret on a note" and is that what is happening at 0:02 to 0:016 ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RT0B2K6MWk

Jimi would frequently bend the strings upwards, as opposed to the downward bend that most guitarists use.
    I would have expected this quote to be the opposite. Don't most guitar players bend strings up, not down? It seems much easier to me.

Thanks for any suggestions! R C

* Quotes taken from Jimi Hendrix Electric Gypsy by Harry Shapiro and Ceaser glebbeek appendix 2 pp 680-681
    1990/1995 St Martin’s press NY, NY
    Richard Wilkerson | dreamgate.com

Post Thanks / Like

The person that wrote this clearly did'nt play guitar much, or at all. Or at least, they arent very good with explanations.
    I wouldnt waste your time dissecting it.

Move on to a better source.

TK

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to watch my bends today as I went through Red House. I don't know which way hendrix bends things but I noticed that pretty much if it is one of the three strings (high e, b, g) from the bottom of the fret, I push them, and if its ones on the top I pull them.

Is this typical? It seems the most rational way ( can't really push the low E very far or it goes off the fret! )

RC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcwilk View Post
    I tried to watch my bends today as I went through Red House. I don't know which way hendrix bends things but I noticed that pretty much if it is one of the three strings (high e, b, g) from the bottom of the fret, I push them, and if its ones on the top I pull them.

Is this typical? It seems the most rational way ( can't really push the low E very far or it goes off the fret! )

RC
    Yes, that's the way it's usually done.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Another bend technique was to bend one string and fret on a note on second string, but play both notes together during the actual bend - like during the introduction to Highway Chile
    What does it mean, to "fret on a note" and is that what is happening at 0:02 to 0:016 ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RT0B2K6MWk