Thread: problems with beginner student - any advice?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Honestly, this sounds like she just isn't putting in the effort. I realize I have not met or seen her, but she sounds content to just mimic what you do rather than take on ownership of learning. Could you give some simple example exercises like a super-simple melody and tell her to figure it out at home during the week and see how far she gets? If she's not practicing or trying, I don't know what else you can do.
    along with Eric's idea have you incorporated the one and a two and a three and a four concept(at all tempo speeds)?realizing this is chord territory basically it also is huge in melody and arpeggios in the form of fretboard logic.another winning concept she should try.we really do want to help.assuming you know your fretboard logic would it be a big deal to pass some along to her?generally speaking adults are not the problem.being able to comprehend and remember what has been learned might be.enter mastering the fretboard.once this is done it really is hard to mess up. her being able to progress on her own should follow suit shortly after the above has been done.just thoughts
    from someone who has played by ear over four decades and still going strong.like her played classical piano many moons ago but for some odd reason the theory part of it stuck when guitar became my focal point.a lot of ''theory'' is overrated and not an absolute to learning the instrument.too many greats to name that never give theory a second thought.they just do like The Who song.''pick up my guitar and play just like yesterday''
    additionally she must learn timing because just rhythm without time will get her nowhere fast.melody as in singing helps but playing by yourself/herself she needs the challenge to better herself.consider being her backing track in a lesson.ask her to play along hoping she will fill in the gaps.
    yes,tall order but one actually necessary as much as the above mentioned.
    after all it is called ''playing'' guitar for a reason Not working guitar.

We hope this provides a little insight.aka inspiration she needs.
    Last edited by player; June 20th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb