Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New low man on the totem pole.

Thread: New low man on the totem pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking New low man on the totem pole.

Just thought I'd introduce myself - I didn't see anywhere to officially do it so I'm sticking it here.

Yes, that is really my name. It is a cruel, ironic joke that my parents and the universe played on me.

I'm old, fat, bald and almost completely musically incompetent but for some reason I keep buying gear. GAS is a sickness that I contracted about 2 years ago when I decided I should start playing guitar at the young age of 42. Now I have a basement full of beautiful instruments that I cannot play but refuse to quit trying - much to my family's chagrin.

I've seen a couple of familiar faces (or screen names, anyway) from Agile forum, which is where I can be found wasting most of my free time. But I came across this forum today and thought it looked pretty cool - so I figured I would see if you guys are smart enough to run me off or if you're gluttons for punishment and stupid questions.

I've got way too much gear but I'm in the process of thinning the herd out a bit. Don't worry - I'm not registering here just trying to sell stuff - I promise. Just pointing out that I know I've gone overboard on gear.

As I mentioned I hang out at AGF a lot and I'm a true blue believer in the Agile guitar line. But anything bright and shiny will generally get my attention. My two current faves are an SX Callisto Jr. and a Parker PM20. Or maybe I prefer my AL3125 or the Fender MIJ Jaguar, or maybe the... *sigh* I know you guys understand.

Anyway, this looked like a pretty cool place so I hope you can make room for one more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey! Welcome! Based on your description, you should fit right in. I joined at a similar age with a similar experience level. I have learned a lot here, not that that means I am a good player or anything. But it is a good place to learn and pursue this fun passion!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Hey! Welcome! Based on your description, you should fit right in. I joined at a similar age with a similar experience level. I have learned a lot here, not that that means I am a good player or anything. But it is a good place to learn and pursue this fun passion!
    ^ This is pretty close to my description as well, and I'm too lazy to make my own right now. I just woke up to work my last night shift, going to days next week after 3 1/2 years of this... craziness.

Welcome to The Fret, Jeff. Just be glad your parents didn't name you Michael Bolton...
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

One of my fellow pastors shares a name with John Tesh, although spelled differently. People have asked if he is THE John Tesh, to which he always answers, "Well, yes!"

Welcome to our group of fellow talentless hacks
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has a good friend from college named Paul McCartney. It happens. Welcome to the Fret Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I created a new user last night, "Peter Pan".

I used to work with a James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post

Hey!! Well there are a couple of us that aren't hacks. Not including me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Welcome, Jeff. Was hoping there for a minute that you could introduce me to Tal Wilkenfeld, but apparently that's not going to happen....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Growing up my best friend's name was Kevin McHale. One day I was at the store with my mother and there was a whole wall of "Kevin McHale" signature basketballs and she was horrified because she thought my buddy had put his name on all of them!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New low man on the totem pole.

Welcome Jeff! Do you have a JB sig Strat? If not, trade for one!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    A friend of mine has a good friend from college named Paul McCartney. It happens. Welcome to the Fret Jeff.
    Fond memories of my late neighbor John Lennon...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, JB!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, look what the cat dragged in. Hi Jeff!

Folks, Jeff is a great guy and is about to take on a project for me that was just collecting dust while other projects got finished around it. He's also a talented graphic artist, and much less of a hack than he claims to be, I'm pretty sure.

Welcome to the fret, Jeff!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret Jeff!

Your namesake happens to be one my all-time favorite guitarists.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but I assure you I do truly stink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    Ah, a favorite Stooges line!

Welcome Jeff - we all aspire to something better than we are, so let's be nice to ourselves! None of us could be hopeless, or we would have given up by now (despite the seductive qualities of the guitar in all its forms, and the never-ending fires of GAS...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New low man on the totem pole.

I recognize you from AGF! Welcome to the other side.

I dabbled with git'ers thru my 20s and 30s and started "taking it seriously" the year I turned 40.

I can honestly say that I'm still fully committed to the learning process. But I can't honestly say that I'm any better at playing these damn stringed things!

Still, investing resources and effort into a passion is hardly a waste. Showing up is half of it and your enjoyment is the other half.

Welcome to TheFret.net.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jeff! I haven't been to AGF in ages (don't currently own an Agile so it seems like cheating), it's a good group. Have fun!