Thread: Amsterdam region.... Greenhouses everywhere!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amsterdam region.... Greenhouses everywhere!!

Just spent three weeks in native France (finally got to visit Versailles, a whole subject in itself).

The Amsterdam flight stopover was interesting, as the aerial view is stunning: hundreds of gigantic greenhouses...!!
    And water bodies, big and small. Interesting landscape.

Anybody here familiar with this area?

Other: Every time I visit my native area, France/Switzerland, I am reminded of a certain lack of "vibe", compared to the U.S. Very hard to explain. I was in an IKEA store in Geneva, (high standard of living, etc.) looking around, observing people, and could not connect at all. Later, my sister joined me and l told her about the lack of vibe. she gave me a weird look... not the first time, LOL.
    Speaking of Geneva, l leaned through a cousin that two-thirds of the world oil trade is dealt there... astonishing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool! I got to spend a day in Amsterdam with my family two years ago as part of our trip to Holland. It was a beautiful and historical city.

Not sure what you are saying about vibe, whether it is lacking here in the States or over in your native area. The vibe I most noticed in Holland, especially in my mother-in-law's home city of Arnhem, was a remembrance of the pain of WWII, and almost as the area still had some PTSD that had flowed down through the generations there. Given what that city had endured, I suppose I could understand it. What I am trying to say is that it is like a type of realism vs. optimism that seems to pervade as compared to the States. Though I would say that that traditional US sense of optimism is starting to get a little rough around the edges these days too. Not wanting to comment on anything politically, just an observation of comparative "vibe" if you will.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

People are so different in different parts of countries even. I have felt that same kind of lack of vibe in many places,, while others have felt vibrant. Even within one country.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Amsterdam region.... Greenhouses everywhere!!

Intetesting SVL.
    My vibe feel idea is to be understood almost in a rock music sense. Feels a wee bit too quiet to me, especially the Swiss part..
    I do understand that the Dutch are quite dynamic folks. One just need to look at aerial views to see the extend of industry and trade going on!

Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    People are so different in different parts of countries even. I have felt that same kind of lack of vibe in many places,, while others have felt vibrant. Even within one country.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Yes, I agree, and was thinking about that and how to express it as I was trying to type my reply. Here, even between where I live and Twin Falls, and hour and a half away, marks a very big difference in feel. More so than in western Washington along Interstate 5 where things have largely "congealed" into a large urban/suburban area. Here, with Idaho's rural lands and small towns, things are quite different from town to town.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    Intetesting SVL.
    My vibe feel idea is to be understood almost in a rock music sense. Feels a wee bit too quiet to me! I do understand that the Dutch are quite dynamic folks. One just need to look at aerial views to see the extend of industry and trade going on!

Yeah, I was not really in Amsterdam long enough to get a real feel for things. I stayed longer in Arnhem.

Here is one guy in Amsterdam that I have communicated on Youtube whose music vibe I enjoy!

He communicated with me when I was working on learning this. I still can't play it as well as he does, but I have not worked on it lately. He does lots of Ramones stuff. When I get my tele put back together with the new pickups, I am going to take another whack at this.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson