Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Emmanuel - see this man before you leave the planet!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tommy Emmanuel - see this man before you leave the planet!

I had one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life last night. It is beyond words - what this man does with an acoustic guitar is beyond description - there are times when it is simply no longer a guitar, - or maybe i should say 'just a guitar'! Simply phenomenal, and anyone interested in the guitar should see this guy play. On top of the incredible music (and range of styles) are some of the most artful arrangements of familiar songs that you will ever hear, a joy in sharing the music, a respect for guitar greats past and present, a love for the audience - and someone who is clearly a decent human being. Can you tell I'm blown away?!

Post Thanks / Like

I've liked him for years. I bought my dad DVD's from Tommy's website. Amazing talent. His brother's good too.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy is in that thin-air area of musicianship, with the likes of Chet Atkins. A GENUINE master of his trade.

Post Thanks / Like

One of these days I have to see him live, although he rarely comes anywhere near here.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see him! I'm in marnold's boat however.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I only found out he was going to be in Boston about 4 days before the show and was thrilled to get tix. I'll keep a closer eye out and hope he returns as there are a number of friends I need to drag along next time! Hope you guys get a chance somehow in the future to see him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NASA keeps turning down my astronaut applications, so I guess I'm stuck on the planet a little longer.

I'd love to see Tommy play. He'll be here in October but the ticket prices (with dinner at this venue) are $78 - $98 - $118.

Post Thanks / Like

Tix here surprisingly reasonable for Boston - $36 and $47 (including the TMaster scalp fee...) but no dinner!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Tix here surprisingly reasonable for Boston - $36 and $47 (including the TMaster scalp fee...) but no dinner!
    I've seen him twice and the tickets were in that range. Thankfully, the place where I saw him both times had ticket sales right at the box office, so I didn't even get the usual TM fee.

The first time I saw him he was just out-of-this-world phenomenal. The second time was also excellent, but it made it clear that the first time was just one of those nights where absolutely everything is clicking. In addition to the music and his crazy performances, he also has some pretty funny banter and lame jokes in between songs that make the whole show a really fun experience.

I'm glad you were able to see him play, TJ. It's definitely worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I saw him a few years ago and had exactly the same reaction as you. An acoustic guitar in his hands is more than just a guitar. Prior to seeing him I had never heard of anyone bending the neck on an acoustic to get a vibrato effect. Almost everything he plays is jaw dropping, but the Beatles medley left an indelible impression.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that medley was an amazing arrangement - he encored with an achingly beautiful arrangement of 'Imagine', and closed by saying that he hoped we would leave the theater feeling 'a little uplifted' - what an understatement! I really felt like I had been given a gift through the music he presented.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen Tommy & Phil Emmanuel many a time over the years, they play often around my way.
    Top Aussie guitarists.....

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe it! I was looking at the website for the Meyer Theatre in Green Bay for the Bob and Tom Comedy Tour dates and saw that Tommy Emmanuel is going to be there on September 11! Normally, I have a meeting that night, but it is being moved. The ticket was $48 with the Ticket Star gouging, but I'm going to be there!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet marnold! Hope he comes to my neck of the woods some day.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo! I just got an email saying that I'm going to be able to be a part of the meet-and-greet before the show! Pity I'm going alone so I don't think I'll be able to get a picture taken with him. I might take my camera along just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

I play a show recently where one of the guys playing on the bill was very very Tommy Emmanuel-ish -- a really amazing guitarist: https://soundcloud.com/danbank88.

I hope you have a good time at the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen every Tommy concert in Canberra there's been.
    I still have (not really use them) but the first tapes he put out years ago, some of which he played everything on the recordings, drums, bass guitar etc - it's awesome to see how 'Initiation' has evolved over the years....

Can't wait for the NOV concert, saw one of the first TV adverts, booked within 30 seconds LOL
    About the only bad thing about watching a Tommy concert is realising I (personally) will never be able to make a guitar sing the way Tommy does....almost depressing! Something to aspire to granted but really this guy is on a level I can only dream about!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from the concert. He played about 70 minutes, took about a 30 minute break, and then played a further 70 minutes. I thought I had seen people play guitar before. Evidently I was wrong. He just owned that thing. The thing that really struck me was the joy and the ease that he played with. I know enough to understand how remarkably difficult it is to play like that. He made it seem like no big deal.

He broke down how he came up with his arrangement for Lady Madonna. I still couldn't ever play it, but now it makes sense how a talented human being could do it.

He was really nice and down to earth at the meet and greet. I asked him how often he had to replace the top on his guitar the way he bangs on it. He said his main guitar has had the top replaced three times since the late 80s. He said the new guitars he has are almost indestructible.

If he is anywhere near you, get tickets. If you think you the best player out there, check your ego at the door. He will prove you wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see him. I can tell when a true Master is playing, and that is exactly what Tommy is. I feel humbled just looking at his Maton.

You lucky dog, Marnold!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast