Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Centralia, PA

Thread: Centralia, PA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Centralia, PA

Just finished a road trip to check out Centralia, PA. For the uninitiated, this was a coal mining town that had a few thousand folks living in it. An underground fire was accidentally lit and has been burning since '62. PA declared eminent domain in the 80s and now only about 6 folks still reside there (state hasn't yet forced them out). You can read up on this by googling about it. There's a ton of info on the matter, which in and of itself is quite fascinating.

Since we were only 20 minutes from Pottsville, you know a stop at the Yuengling brewery was on the agenda Great folks there running the place and very generous with the beer.

At the state line heading home we loaded up on a ton of fireworks too Not a bad way to spend a nice Saturday.

Here's a look at the closed off portion of Highway 61. The ground is unstable and the massive heat from the underground fires causes the asphalt to buckle badly.

A shot outside Yuengling Brewery.

Some of the countryside and many windmills we saw in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've read about Centralia and it is an interesting, kinda' scary place. The google image search is an eye opener.
    https://www.google.com/search?gs_rn=...4H4Dg#imgdii=_

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading about Centralia from time to time in the Philly newspapers over court actions.............it was a freaky occurrence and I just can't imagine that you live there for however many years and then the ground under you catches on fire.

Yuengling is a fabulous beer.......so says Baby Cobra and her fiancee'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I cannot believe that the company responsible for the fires was allowed to basically leave an uncontrolled fire underground burning for 50 years. I have to imagine it alone offsets a fair number of Priuses in terms of carbon footprint. cool pics, but weird, weird, weird.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson