Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Abnormally crazy weather
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abnormally crazy weather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Abnormally crazy weather

Thought I would start a Thread about unusual weather that your region just normally doesn't see. I heard on the TV this morning about the unbelievable HEAT in the West.....even Boise hit 100.

Well, for my neck of the woods, the Delaware Valley, Philly in particular has been getting rained on daily for 10 days now. Everything's waterlogged and most things that usually live underground are now on the ground. When it does rain, it's often in sheets of rain and flooding abounds. It seems we are under a perpetual Flood and Severe T-storm Watch. It seems this Low System set up camp over Western New York and it just keeps spinning and not moving and throwing bands of rain our way. Amazing. The other thing too is that it's amazing how much of a difference 10 miles can make.

This is noteworthy in that our weather generally doesn't run this way......not for this length of time for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Friday and Saturday's highs were between 101 F and 107 F. Our old A/C survived, and therefore so did we!

Did I mention it was hot?

Post Thanks / Like

Where exactly is Clear Lake Texas? I Googled it and it showed NE Texas. Is that right? Pretty early for y'all to get that hot isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Abnormally crazy weather

Heard that Death Valley broke some records this weekend and may have had the highest recorded temp on Earth at 135+ degrees.

I could google the Interwebs to confirm that number but... I'm too tired from this heat wave to expend any more energy.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Where exactly is Clear Lake Texas? I Googled it and it showed NE Texas. Is that right? Pretty early for y'all to get that hot isn't it?
    Clear Lake used to be an independent town before Houston annexed it. We still call it "Clear Lake" out of rebellion! Halfway between Houston and Galveston, we are near the bay and rarely get as hot as Houston due to the moderating effects of the water body. Plant hardiness zone 9a.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Clear Lake used to be an independent town before Houston annexed it. We still call it "Clear Lake" out of rebellion! Halfway between Houston and Galveston, we are near the bay and rarely get as hot as Houston due to the moderating effects of the water body. Plant hardiness zone 9a.
    Yeah, I saw that as an option when I Googled. I'll wave to you from the plane when we fly to Monterrey Mexico in September.

Post Thanks / Like

We're just getting our normal Summer heat wave. In the 90s this week, with the a slight cooling coming this weekend. We often get temps above 100 degrees in late July or early August. The only weird thing about our weather is that about a week ago it was only in the high 60s, with rain off and on. That's the NW for you, though.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our heat wave up in SV is supposed to ease off around Friday or so. Last evening, the temps dropped from above 90 to under 80 in like half and hour as some thunderstorms came in. they got some nice, needed rain in Ketchum and the temps dropped into the 60's. As I said, we got into the 70's by dinner, which was nice, but no rain to speak of. Just a few drops. It had that "thunderstorm, humid, it would feel so good if it would just rain" feel. The weather can be quite a bit different from Hailey to Ketchum, despite there being just 12 miles in distance between them.

It was good for the trails and woods to get that rain. Unfortunately, down south in the desert by Twin, lightning sparked a few brush fires. I think they are pretty well contained already, but I hate to see fire season start to knock on the door.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it's been very pleasant here in NE Wisconsin. Mid to upper 70s, low humidity.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It hit 90 here on both Sunday and Monday.

Pretty hot for the Seattle area. It's starting to cool down here with mid-70s on the Fourth.

Another heat wave expected next week though that could be even hotter than what we've had so far.

Might be time to jump into a creek!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Been getting warmer every summer very noticeably. This summer, it's pretty much like a month in advance in warmth. June felt like July usually does - days so hot the best place to be is shirtless and driving around the lakes. Lake water is up to 23 degrees on average, I swear in our bay it's around body temp when it hasn't been windy. I worry how the fish will fare...also, practically zero rain in June, almost killed crops due to heat.

I'm pretty sure the greenhouse gases affect it all, temp records breaking year after year, but O don't mind...in fact I think I'll start making more of co2 if it's helping to turn the climate so pleasant for us here...:-) just kidding, but yeah, the weathers have been superb. When I was a kid it was rare indeed to be able to wear t-shirts and shorts near the polar circle in June, now it's like I haven't worn anything but since may. The only thing is, need to buy another ac unit for upstairs so we can sleep without sweating.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

By the way that was 23c, i.e. 73+ Fahrenheit.

Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Deeaa, you're quite right about things warming up over the years. Lots of high temperature records being broken every year around the world. Lows...not so much. For areas closer to the Arctic like Finland, the effects are quite dramatic. One important concept here is the overall rate of change rather than absolute temperatures. For small rates of change, ecosystems and economies have the time to adapt to the new conditions. Large rates of change though don't leave time for adaptation and have serious consequences.

For my area, while the summer's aren't all that much hotter, the winters certainly are with the lawn typically starting to really grow in February. The number of freezing days and nights here are much less than when I was a kid. We seem to get more intense rainfall too.

Post Thanks / Like

Philly International Airport and South Philly got bushwhacked with 8" of rain in a short time today. Holy smokes. South Jersey resembles a swamp afterwards. Major thorofares flooded out. Good grief.

Gotta find me a desert.......tired of rain.

Post Thanks / Like

And we're so dry they have curtailed irrigating. Get your spuds now before the price goes up and all that are available is in dehydrated form.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We're 10" under our normal YTD average of 27" rainfall at the official weather station. My area is a little better off.

We have what's called black gumbo clay just below the soil, which contracts when dry. Foundation repair companies love it. I run soaker hoses around most of the slab to prevent problems when the weather stays dry too long. The prevention is much cheaper than the cure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, again north pole has a lake over it this year. Easy to believe with this summer temp development a bit more south too. Damn warm summer - not that I'm complaining though.

Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No rain at all this week, so the sprinklers are back in action. Here's the before watering shot of our fledgling black crape myrtle.

I'll try another shot tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Southern and south central Montana just got bombed with large hail that destroyed many crops and 89 mph winds. Super violent system. Makes me glad that I wasn't in the mountains in a flimsy tent.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast