Thread: SVL's telecaster mod thread (P90 and quick connect control unit) in pictures

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First day notes: Yeah, so here is some of the stuff I just didn't know going into the project, like that tele pickups use springs and/or foam to provide tension on the adjustment screws. Before this, the only guitar I ever opened up was my strat, and of course there, the pickups are attached by screws to the pick guard, and you adjust with them. In teles, usually the neck pickup is screwed down into the wood, with either foam, or springs, or both used to provide tension against the pickup, so you can use the screws to adjust height. Of course, some have the strat style mount, but not most. You probably know how the tele bridge pickup is screwed to the bridge plate with machine screws, and you adjust with them. I didn't though.

That is one reason I am doing this thread. For some of us (me), the obvious is not so obvious. My internet searches did not reveal any definitive answers. For example, when I searched about how to mount the neck P90, foam, and/or springs came up. Most people seem to use foam from whatever source, an old couch, mouse pads, etc. So I bugged DVM about the questions where I could not find sufficient answers. He has been very generous in responding to me and my dumb questions. So, I tried to use the foam that Fender used under the stock pup, but it was not enough. So, I will get some more stuff, and go again, and take more pics. Hopefully it will help another nooby modder to have it all in one place from start to finish.

I am going to have to learn now about set up too, since I took everything apart, and will have to get it all lined up again. Dang! I didn't think about that, and my friend had it all set up with the strings nice and low and no buzzing. I think I can find links about that stuff. I might as well learn how to do it. When I find the info, I will post it here too for reference.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; July 16th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson