Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Agile LP for CHEAP!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agile LP for CHEAP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile LP for CHEAP!!!

A super-nice guy who plays bass in our church's adult praise band has been dying to buy a Les Paul for ages, but has been having family financial problems and just hasn't been able to swing it. I turned him on to the Agile LP copies over at Rondo Music, but even the $225 AL-2000's were more than he could swing in his current situation.

Last Friday, a mid-level Agile LP model, a tobacco-burst AL-2800, popped up on our local CL, for only $100. The owner claimed it was in good shape functionally and just need to be cleaned up, since he had stopped playing about 3 years ago. I contacted him over the weekend and it turned out he was only 10 minutes away. I went to his place Sunday evening and checked out the guitar--it was a bit on the grimy side, the strings were rusty and the frets needed a good polishing. But there wasn't a ding on it, the neck was straight, the frets had minimal wear, the electronics worked perfectly, and the set-up & action were remarkably good. I happily paid him the $100 and took it home.

I spent a couple of hours last night getting the guitar cleaned up--steel-wooled the frets, cleaned & oiled the fretboard, cleaned & polished the entire body & all the hardware. After putting on a new set of 10's and adjusting the intonation a bit, it's a very nice looking and great playing guitar. The pickups are decent, not great, but they will certainly do for now. About the only minor problem is that the truss rod cover was missing, but I've got one of those coming from Kurt at Rondo. Just an amazing value for $100! I'm going to surprise my friend with it at our weekly practice session on Friday evening--I think he'll love it!

Couple of pics--check out this little beauty:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice move on your part there Vood. Many graces coming your way. Good show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Serious cool points, DVM.
    That might be the best looking $100 guitar (modern $'s) ever!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

WOW!!!! Great score! and classy move there DVM!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent, dude.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow DVM, that is a very awesome thing for you to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile LP for CHEAP!!!

Ditto all the above!! Well done. Love to see his face when he's handed this player.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool of you, and nice guitar as well!
    It's certainly no secret that I happen to enjoy that brand.

If you swap the A5 magnets for A2, those pickups sweeten up nicely, btw.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Well played, DVM!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

What an awesome deal!

Is it, by any chance, incredibly heavy? My Agile LP certainly is.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

When you are down and out and it seems like there is no means to an end, it seems like, well into that darkest hour, someone incredible comes along and rekindles the love of living - turns on a metaphysical light that flows through from everything, giving things a warmer tone to their color, and life seems like a better place all of the sudden. For you to be able to do that for someone reveals the depth and warmth of your soul and shows that you are a wonderful gem in an unremarkable gravel pit.

You are a good man, DVM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Is it, by any chance, incredibly heavy? My Agile LP certainly is.
    Yeah, it's a chunk--about 11 lbs. or so. My AL-3000 is similarly heavy.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well played, sir. I hope he enjoys it -- that's a hell of a deal.

BTW, does "adult praise band" mean that it's a bit more racy than the kids' version? Or do you talk about taxes and mortgages in between songs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    BTW, does "adult praise band" mean that it's a bit more racy than the kids' version? Or do you talk about taxes and mortgages in between songs?
    Nope, just means that were OLDER than the members of our church's original praise band, who are all high schoolers. Our youngest member is my daughter (age 23) and our oldest is early '60s. I won't say who that is.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Nope, just means that were OLDER than the members of our church's original praise band, who are all high schoolers. Our youngest member is my daughter (age 23) and our oldest is early '60s. I won't say who that is.
    Yeah, I figured it was something like that. That's pretty cool -- no praise band for me these days, unfortunately, though I really wish there was. The two bands I'm in are kind of fun, but I think I might like playing on a WT more.

BTW, that's a very pretty guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

You just moved several beads to the right on the Abacus of Karma Very nice looking guitar and, more importantly, the sentiment this will instill in your friend will exponentially outweigh the cost. Impressive gesture.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice move!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! I'd own one except I can't handle the weight anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done, DVM! Pure class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast