Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Open Mics nights anyone...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Mics nights anyone...?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Open Mics nights anyone...?

Do you have an open mic night near you?

Do you participate or attend?

Do you feel you could or would create one, given a chance, or a little push...?

I have a couple near me, enjoy them thoroughly (spectating only). Not all about music either, some funny stuff too! Some months ago, an old guy did a spoken rendition of The Doors' "The End" that was just stunning!

Last night, even the dog got to go: spouse was walking the dog before show, and rolled in the back of the room. We were told it was the 2nd time a dog attended!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to try one, just to see if I could get up in front of a crowd. I can do it at parties just fine, but have never tried anything more formal. I wouldn't mind attending to see the local talent either.

Post Thanks / Like

Galcies, one I attend has a motto:

Everybody has a voice
    Every voice is unique
    Every voice deserves to be heard

Post Thanks / Like

I began one, first timers encouraged, and I have a "feature" do a 40 min set in the middle of the evening...usually someone with a CD or two to hock....it's me throwing a bone out to the folks, encourage the newbies and enjoy the pros.

Makes for a fun night. It's been going now for a little over 3 years. The owner of the bar where I've been schlepping my gear just spent 5k on a new sound system because of the event.

Last Friday we had 160 ppl in attendance. LOTS of fun. I often, but not always, perform.

poor quality pic here....
    me and my buds doing "I've been loving you too long" last Friday.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

The ones local to me take place in various kinds of places: Odd Fellows Hall, Irish bar, church basement converted to community hall, library.
    There is no question that a slow bar should welcome such activity, pretty peaceful crowd.
    And an OK PA system isn't that much(?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    And an OK PA system isn't that much(?)
    Are you referring to the 5K? TELL me about it. He didn't need to go that route. But he did.

Fully digital Stagescape M20D head...16 channel - can be operated by iPad from anywhere in the house...no board needed. QSC amp - power conditioner, JBL mains, Mackie monitors, Shure 57's and 58's

Bear in mind that my open mic was a rock into a placid pond. my events are now 3 other days a month I host Ensembles from the local music school, sometimes 15 people on stage at a time...4 pc horn sections, multiple percussionists, half dozen electric guitars, several vocalists, all going at once and a hundred people in attendance. This is growing bigger every month and with my own gear, the time and effort to set up and break down was considerable, and if gear failed...well it would suck. Now it's a permanent install and he can use that to bring in more bands.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that just sounds cool. I'm going to see if I can find something here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    Are you referring to the 5K? TELL me about it.

...I host Ensembles from the local music school, sometimes 15 people on stage at a time...4 pc horn sections, multiple percussionists, half dozen electric guitars, several vocalists, all going at once and a hundred people in attendance
    No I did not refer to any PA system, just a decent one..!

Sounds like you kicked it good!

There is a local after-hours school ensemble very much like you describe, kick-butt stuff, boatloads offun and a few alumni are marching on with higher music education.

Post Thanks / Like

No I did not refer to any PA system, just a decent one..!

Sounds like you kicked it good!

There is a local after-hours school ensemble very much like you describe, kick-butt stuff, boatloads offun and a few alumni are marching on with higher music education.
    Very cool!

FYI, (tangent) in 6 hours I leave Chicago for Plymouth Ma via auto. 6pm wedding tomorrow evening. I'll wave as roll through your "neighborhood".

got "Radar Love" all cued up and ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    Man, that just sounds cool. I'm going to see if I can find something here.
    DO IT! There's no shame in just getting up there with that ONE tune you know you have down. TRY to just smile and enjoy playing the song. Get over that hump, and prepare a couple more next month.

We have a very welcoming vibe at ours...I've had people stop and restart, playing different chords...almost in tears...then the crowd erupts in support, the smile beams, and off they go. Not always great to hear but awesome to see and be a part of. Others come along later and give up the goods, so it's all worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post

FYI, (tangent) in 6 hours I leave Chicago for Plymouth Ma via auto
    While in Plymouth, you can catch a great local community radio out of Provincetown (carries over water!) womr.org, 92.1 and/or 91.3.
    A number of (volunteer) DJs are now friends..! Three great blues programs a week, and a bunch of other interesting stuff. We live by it at home...

Side trip to Cape Cod, perchance?

Post Thanks / Like

Side trip to Cape Cod, perchance?
    Not this trip. Saturday AM we'll head to family's place up near the lakes region in NH. Sometime in the Rye/Portsmouth area, White Mountains, Portland Me, then back home with a reunion in Cleveland en route.

thanks for the headsup on the Radio though. I'll look it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Tio, Sorry I didn't see this earlier, tho I imagine you'll be tied up with the wedding, but I'm right here in Plymouth - coulda had a brief Fretter meet-up for a beer... If you see this and you have some time to float tomorrow, send me a PM...

Also, if you are downtown, make sure you stop at The Music Box on North st (dead center of town). It's a hole-in-the-wall collection of great vintage gear - lots of older strats, teles and Gretsch's -

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

My friend and I ran one for two years at Cyber Cafe West. It's an awesome venue in Upstate NY. Recently, the owner was having work done on the parking lot and discovered an entrance to a prohibition era distillery (that's another story). We just recently passed it on to new hosts as our lives were getting too busy. I always had a blast. The place has a nice stage with an outstanding house PA. I was blown away by how much talent I was introduced to. In those two years I can't tell you how many people had their first "on stage" appearance at that open mic and have since gone on to performing full time. I always encourage people to go to open mics, even as a spectator. Not only are they a lot of fun, but they're a great way to meet other musicians in the area.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to an open-mic-ish thing here a couple of times, mainly to play, but it's one where you need to reserve time in advance, are on the hook for 3 songs, and 2 of them have to be original. So I'm not sure if that qualifies as a normal open mic night. It's pretty cool and I would like to explore more when I have some more time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...it's one where you need to reserve time in advance, are on the hook for 3 songs, and 2 of them have to be original...

Uh, do you also need a letter from your parents or guardian, and sign a non-disclosure agreement..?

A bit over the top, IMO. A number of prospective participants are excluded by defaut, there.

Spoken word entries?

Spoken word can be tremendous fun: these past two months we have had a guy do comedy that's just riveting. The second he climbs on stage, he looks at the audience with that puzzled look, and it's off to the races...!

Post Thanks / Like

There used to be one at a restaurant where I used to live. It was great fun. It usually ended up in a free for all jam at the end of the night. There were players of all experience levels, and the crowd would encourage everyone to play. There were a couple times when I would get in "trouble" with Mrs. Kat when we would order takeout, because I'd jump in and play a couple songs while I was waiting on my order!

Sadly, the restaurant went out of business, but it was fun while it lasted!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Open Mics nights anyone...?

TJ, thanks for the info and the invite. As you may expect it was a pretty packed time with little for anything but the family and logistics. I have lots of family here so I'll be back. We were able to buzz the rock in the early morning Saturday with my sons girlfriend who's never been to New England. Then drive through Boston on our way to a 3000 sq ft log "cabin" on a motor less lake in NH. Paradise. Now, I relax.

Next time I'm there with some breathing room, would love to cross paths.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, do you also need a letter from your parents or guardian, and sign a non-disclosure agreement..?

A bit over the top, IMO. A number of prospective participants are excluded by defaut, there.
    Well, that's why I questioned whether it was really an open mic or not. I think it's more of a forum for people to showcase songs that they've written and they like to give it some boundaries, but I think you confirmed my suspicion that you would be hard-pressed to call it an open-mic night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast