Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
Well, she pulled the trigger last night. Bought the SX P-bass package and she's pretty excited. She told me she really loved it when I was singing and playing the rhythm guitar. I hope she doesn't get overwhelmed, but I think the fact that I had her playing songs with the full band right away means that if she gets frustrated, we can always go back to playing music. I just bought her the Hal Leonard Bass Method books and have been scouting youtube for some tutorials. That's what I do for guitar when I want some quick lessons.

Anyway, I might be getting on here to pick some of your brains for some material for her. I'm not sure she'd start an account.
Tell her welcome to the world of bass from another bass player!

That is aweseome news. Fortunately, the bass is very easy to learn - yet very hard to master.

There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of three-note songs that are extremely easy to pick up. ZZ Top's catalog is a good start. Wild Thing by the Troggs can be played by nearly anyone on bass.

From that humble beginning, the sky is the limit. The opposite end of the spectrum from Wild Thing are players like Victor Wooten, Pino Palladino, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clark, Tal Wilkenfeld, etc.

There is a world of really fun and challenging music between the prodigal stars and the super-simple tunes. Nearly any funk tune will be a gas to play on bass.