Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Crap. Here we go again.

Thread: Crap. Here we go again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Crap. Here we go again.

Local wildfires have kicked in again. http://www.ktvb.com/news/Fires-burni...219060401.html

The view from the airport yesterday afternoon.

This one is not directly threatening the Sun Valley area yet, but is in Fairfield, ID, a ways to the south and west. The smoke may get a bit nasty though before this one is over. Seems like we are getting one of these close enough to cause smoke issues once a year now.

NWBasser is coming over, and things are safe in town, and the air is still good pretty much as the winds are to the north, and the fires are to the west. IT may get into some previously burned areas so it can be controlled, but it may just end up being watched until the rains come too. A little prayer for rain for us would be appreciated.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fire and Smoke Information
    Smoke and Fire Update 8:00 am, Saturday August 10th
    The Beaver Creek Fire and the McCan Fire near Fairfield have now been combined as one incident named the Beaver Creek Complex. The fire complex is now being managed by a Type 2 Incident Management Team. There has not been an update to the Inciweb site however both fires combined are over 26,000 acres as of 7am this morning.
    The weather today calls for continued winds out of the south which will continue to push the Beaver Creek Fire to the north. We can expect to see a large smoke plume in the afternoon to our west. As a precautionary measure in the interest of public safety, the Ketchum Ranger District will be closing access to the headwaters of Deer Creek and the South Fork of Warm Springs areas today.
    A Fire Weather Watch continues today through south central Idaho for extremely dry conditions. Stage 1 Fire Restrictions remain in effect. Campfires are restricted to developed campsites in campgrounds staffed by campground hosts. A list of campgrounds where campfires are allowed is available at the Sawtooth Forest website; www.fs.usda.gov/sawtooth
    Please use extra caution travelling on our roads and highways in areas of smoke. Visibility may be reduced in the north valley today due to drift smoke. Further updates to the City of Ketchum website will be made as information becomes available. To receive Ketchum news updates and emergency alerts by email or text messaging please sign up under the Notify Me section of the City of Ketchum website at: www.ketchumidaho.org

http://www.ketchumidaho.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=105
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Crap. Here we go again.

The smoke is not as bad today yet. Hopefully they can make some headway, but it looks like this one might stick around. the smoke will billow up again after the afternoon winds and heat kicks up.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And same view, a couple hours later:

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yikes! I wish I could send you some rain. We got 2" this morning.
    The last 20 minutes of my road ride was in heavy rain, but it felt good so no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a fire over at Lava Hot Springs too. Luckily, no smoke in the Tetons this weekend,

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Crap. Here we go again.

Damn! Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

fire update info at the link below for those interested
    http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3609/

So this pic shows that although the smoke is pretty impressive, both fires that make up the Beaver Creek fire complex are quite a ways away. I live in Hailey, there to the right, and work up in Ketchum, where Sun Valley's ski mountain is also located. You can also get a sense of the terrain, with the high desert plain to the south, and the central mountains north.

They made some progress to the south containing things, though it does not show up yet in the "containment" numbers in the report. We have been fortunate that the winds have been to the north, rather than more toward the east or north east too. Hopefully the direction holds while they work on things.

Here also is a link to some great photos of what is going on, if you have FB. https://www.facebook.com/steve.donde...9732692&type=1
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some good aerial shots here: https://www.facebook.com/steven.garman.92

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty scary stuff to have going on right in your neighborhood - best of luck to y'all, Steve!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been too busy to post until now.

I hope you stay safe Steve. That is a huge fire!

Apparently, there are other fires farther to the north too. It seems that a lot of Idaho is burning.

We arrived on the 12th and did one ride on the 13th before the smoke got to be too much. We left for the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon for some biking there, but my son got sick and so we headed home early. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to go down to Pocatello to ride those trails instead.

Big thanks to Steve SVL and Steve Spudman for all the great riding advice and it's too bad that we couldn't even stay long enough to meet them. The ride on Corral Creek was heaps of fun and I look forward to going back when there are no fires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Jason, thanks for checking in! We are still safe and well, and in our home in Hailey. We voluntarily left last Saturday until Monday due to smoke, and the fire getting really close to Hailey. But things are much more in control now, especially on the more south end of the fire near us. Still some spots way out on the western end and further north, but they are more and more confident. What a difference between the weekend and now! It is amazing to watch the firefighters work. If anyone is interested in tons of information about the fire and how it progressed, friend me on Facebook, (Steve Thompson, living in Sun Valley, and look for the one with a pic of a guy waterskiing in a pyramid of people. There is another Steve Thompson in the area too, and his pic looks like he is climbing or ski mountaineering).

You guys got out at the right time. Sorry your trip had to be cut short. But the trails will be great when you come back! Looking forward to seeing you next time!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing situation. Glad ya'll are safe.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

As for anyone who wants to connect on Facebook, my profile pic is now of me i mountain biking gear with a hat and sunglasses with my wife and daughter. I just changed it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson