Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Rescued a Vintage Cannondale

Thread: Rescued a Vintage Cannondale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rescued a Vintage Cannondale

Here is a nice 80s SR Cannondale about to be given a new lease on life...

My LBS checked the frame out and shows no signs of wear or abuse. It has all older Shimano 105 components on it (front brake was not so hot so I replaced it with a newer Tiagra I had) and new rims and tires. Weighs in at under 17 lbs. The paint has all been stripped and once the colder weather sets in I'll be sending the body and fork out for powdercoating - orange frame / black forks / blue bar wraps. The bike rides very well and just took it for a 25 mile ride yesterday...S-M-O-O-V-E!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! My only road bike is a 1988 Trek 1200, aluminum with probably very similar 105 components. It HAS been used hard over the years and needs to be replaced. But that Cannondale looks fun.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Change to a carbon seat post and fork and you'll not only lose weight, but a lot of the road buzz will be dampened. You can get those parts on Ebay new for very little $. If you do the fork update you might as well get a carbon stem and some regular drop bars. You'll easily drop 2 lbs. Lose the wheel reflector too. At higher speeds it will cause some bounce that can destabilize the ride. Otherwise, that's a great D.U.I. recovery machine.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Nice! My only road bike is a 1988 Trek 1200, aluminum with probably very similar 105 components. It HAS been used hard over the years and needs to be replaced. But that Cannondale looks fun.
    Thanks. Be careful, bro, the 1200s are prone to fatigue. You'll feel it once its starts giving. I know cus my cousin road one and it happened to him
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Change to a carbon seat post and fork and you'll not only lose weight, but a lot of the road buzz will be dampened. You can get those parts on Ebay new for very little $. If you do the fork update you might as well get a carbon stem and some regular drop bars. You'll easily drop 2 lbs. Lose the wheel reflector too. At higher speeds it will cause some bounce that can destabilize the ride. Otherwise, that's a great D.U.I. recovery machine.
    Thanks, Spud, how would this work and, more importantly, how do I ensure I get the EXACT size needed not to mess up geometry?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...C15C=862401189

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, those Treks were glued together. I am aware of the issue, and plan on replacing it ASAP. I am currently looking at used cycle-cross bikes as that would honestly be the best animal for my needs, especially if I get an extra set of wheels.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool restoration project! Powder coating will really make it live again.

That looks like the late 80's Criterium frame and group, minus the early Shimano Biopace chain rings. 7 speed in the rear cluster, right? No more than 8 I guess. I had 2 of these in my early road bike days, one with 105 (got hit by a car) and one with Campy Chorus/Record mix with a Vitus aluminum fork that tamed down the ride versus the original steel fork. I had later Cannondale road bikes, but these were my favorite. They rode smoother than the evil 3.0's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Cool restoration project! Powder coating will really make it live again.

That looks like the late 80's Criterium frame and group, minus the early Shimano Biopace chain rings. 7 speed in the rear cluster, right? No more than 8 I guess. I had 2 of these in my early road bike days, one with 105 (got hit by a car) and one with Campy Chorus/Record mix with a Vitus aluminum fork that tamed down the ride versus the original steel fork. I had later Cannondale road bikes, but these were my favorite. They rode smoother than the evil 3.0's.
    Damn you know your bikes This has an 8 speed cassette. It would be hard to squeeze any more into the frame. I am fond of the mid 80s Cannondale frames - they are stiffer/thicker/stronger than their more modern AL machines. I am sure that frame will outlive me.

There's the annual swap meet at the Lehigh Velodrome coming up. For asthetics, I am going to look for shiny new replacement crankset.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe I ever posted how beautifully the Cannondale project turned out.

-Pete

10. Likes Tig*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    I don't believe I ever posted how beautifully the Cannondale project turned out.

Wow, that is beautiful! It looks much better than any of the original versions.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

12. Likes stingx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment. It was fun to work on and it is even more fun to ride. This bike has helped me lose 25 pounds.

-Pete