Thread: Video of our show last month

Post Thanks / Like

Default Video of our show last month

I'm kind of bored while my band records a few of the songs we have written, so I figured I would post a video of our opening two songs at a show we had about a month ago. It turned out surprisingly well. I play bass in this band, so I'm in the purple shirt on the left of the screen. For some reason this video is showing up as tiny, but whatever.

http://youtu.be/yiy1SmHO2HE
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Loved it!

I couldn't hear the bass with my work headphones, so I'll listen again when I get home, but especially loved Man's World. Singer was great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    Loved it!

I couldn't hear the bass with my work headphones, so I'll listen again when I get home, but especially loved Man's World. Singer was great.
    Yeah, the sound quality isn't too great overall. Luckily you can hear the singer and guitar pretty well, since those are the main attractions; I'm just sort of along for the ride.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Being relatively new to music, I never knew how important bass was until I didn't have it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glacies View Post
    Being relatively new to music, I never knew how important bass was until I didn't have it.
    It's a fair point. The way I like to frame it is that drums and bass are most important to a band sounding good, but the singer and guitarist are the most noticeable. You don't really want a weak person at any position, but I feel like you can get by with a much weaker guitarist (or occasionally vocalist -- look at Dream Theater) and still sound like a good band if your rhythm section is good. Ironic, since most people want to sing or play guitar because there's more glory there. I think I once heard a drummer say that drumming in a rock band is like being a rock plumber; I thought that was pretty funny.

I think an extension of that thought is that band members notice bad musicians at bass and drums far more than audience members will notice them.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good! I can hear the bass just fine. Nice job, Eric!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

That was really cool. Singer has a good voice and the rhythm section is tight and the recording sounds really good.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's a fair point. The way I like to frame it is that drums and bass are most important to a band sounding good, but the singer and guitarist are the most noticeable. You don't really want a weak person at any position, but I feel like you can get by with a much weaker guitarist (or occasionally vocalist -- look at Dream Theater) and still sound like a good band if your rhythm section is good. Ironic, since most people want to sing or play guitar because there's more glory there. I think I once heard a drummer say that drumming in a rock band is like being a rock plumber; I thought that was pretty funny.

I think an extension of that thought is that band members notice bad musicians at bass and drums far more than audience members will notice them.
    True story. My wife's father played bass for years in a country western band (he played guitar for several years before switching to bass). My best friend played bass, mostly in praise and worship and some heavy rock. Once my friend said something about he's glad he doesn't play bass in C&W because it's just bum-bum, bum-bum. Not one week later my father-in-law said he was glad he didn't play bass in a rock band because it would just be bum-bum bum-bum. I about died it was so bizarre.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound View Post
    True story. My wife's father played bass for years in a country western band (he played guitar for several years before switching to bass). My best friend played bass, mostly in praise and worship and some heavy rock. Once my friend said something about he's glad he doesn't play bass in C&W because it's just bum-bum, bum-bum. Not one week later my father-in-law said he was glad he didn't play bass in a rock band because it would just be bum-bum bum-bum. I about died it was so bizarre.
    That's pretty funny. I guess they're both kind of right, huh? I mean, neither of those genres is exactly funk, motown, or jazz. Then again, I've found music (and life) to be what you make of it. If you decide something is simple and boring, it probably will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Video of our show last month

Nice! The singer is indeed good!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

.. thought I had posted on this earlier - Anyway. really nice work, Eric - the band sounds really tight and together with good musicianship all around!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That was cool man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    That was really cool. Singer has a good voice and the rhythm section is tight and the recording sounds really good.
    Yep this. ^

Your singer really has the American Idol thing down.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Man I love this James Brown song it's probably one of my favorite from the Grandfather of the Funk and you guys gave it justice with a tight groove and nice climax that's cool, I wonder whether you should slow it down a couple of bpm just to make it even more tasty just my two cents. Love as well your original reminds me some Wet Willie Groove it's a nice one
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface