Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
A couple words about the New York Yankees

Thread: A couple words about the New York Yankees

Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple words about the New York Yankees

I was born and raised in Bronx, New York. It's not a small town, but the culture there makes it a small town. Yankee hats, before they became popular, was what everyone wore, from old men to little kids. We were a baseball town and it was in our blood. I'm 30 years old, so Mariano Rivera, Jeter, Pettite, and Posada, the core four, came into prominence right before I got to highschool, when I really started paying attention to baseball with an understanding of strategy and the intricacies of the game. Blah blah blah - steroid era - I'm talking about a kid, watching baseball and appreciating it for what it is.

These guys spoiled me in multiple ways. First, they represented an absolute in sports to me. Sports aren't supposed to have absolutes, but season after season these guys put up numbers, carried games and teams on their backs. I watched those 4 world series like my life depended on it.

And then I found out that my beloved team, an extension of my family was the most hated team in baseball.

Okay, they outspend everyone. They've been doing that since ancient times. Is it fair? Has it always worked? No. What do I have to say about it? I don't know. The most successful players of this Yankee era were farmed. They earned big contracts while there. Would they have left otherwise? I honestly don't think so. Jeter was obsessed about the Yankees since he was a kid. Rivera was loyal to Steinbrenner for taking a chance on him. THey were very close friends with Posada and Pettitte, and Pettitte left for the Astros to be closer to home. These were rare breeds at a rare time in baseball. I hate to see them go because they were part of my family, not because they won.

In fact, I'm glad the Yankees missed the playoffs this year. They didn't deserve to make it. The baseball fundamentals I saw from my team this year would not have flown in little league. If my grandfather was alive to see them start an inning with a man on third and no outs, and not get the run in... well, he wouldn't have turned the game off, but we all would have heard about it. He also would have had something to say about these guys jogging out a routine groundout or swinging so hard out of the zone or just playing like they dont' really care one way or another.

The core 4 spoiled me because they might have been on a rich team but they played with as much heart and grit as anyone else could have played the game. They won with passion and determination, heart and soul. These are things we want to support. These are things you want anyone to have, and this is the team that I grew up with, that was part of my family for so long. That's why I couldn't understand the Yankee hate. We beat you, tough, it took blood sweat and tears and we earned that victory.

Now?

Now we're a rich team with none of those things. Now we're the Yankees that I understand why people hated. We have the money, no soul, and won games. And then we started losing. There's one thing to watch a game and pull for your team, but I walked away from more games this season thinking that I"m glad the other team won, they deserved to. They played better, smarter, harder.

So I think it was a good thing to lose hard this year. Miss the post season, have the family back in New York totally outraged because we've been so spoiled by victory that we forgot what it took to get it in the first place (that's the real shame). Maybe something will spark inside those guys. Maybe A-rod won't come back. Maybe some minor league guys will step up (which I've been waiting for for 3 years) and become the next core 4. That's what I want to see.

If I was upset about one thing about us losing this year, it's that Rivera's last pitch as a New York Yankee won't come in Game 7 of the world series in relief of Andy Pettitte. That's the way those guys deserve to walk off the mound the last time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not been a fan since I started feeling that every time the Mariners start getting good, the Yankees buy a player. Sometimes it feels like the Mariners are a farm club for the Yankees. Though at this point I am not sure I miss A-rod.

My high school literature teacher believed baseball to be the one true sport, and the Yankees, holding on at that time to the more traditional uniforms, were the one true team. I didn't really get it.

I do get your feelings for your team. Just not sure I can share them.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. I'm a Tigers fan. I've seen incompetent ownership turn one of the best teams in the 80s to a laughingstock in the 90s. They've never had the Yankees income streams. They're spending so much now because their owner is very wealthy and wants a World Series ring to go with his Stanley Cups. The Yankees let the team get too old and discovered that even seemingly unlimited cash can't cover up ineptitude forever.

It'll be an interesting off season for sure. They will have to be smarter especially now that the Rays, Blue Jays, and Orioles are no longer content to leave the division to them and the Sox.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can see why their fans love 'em, as well as the rest for hating them. The way Yank's fans treated Lance Berkmen was despicable.

As a fan of the under dog, I prefer a team that does the most with less. Heart of a lion kind of thing.

I do miss local hero Andy Pettite, however. I can't blame him for joining the Yank's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Andy Pettitte's 18th and final season, 256th win in a full 9 innings pitched at his home to an adoring crown... The prefect end to his career.

Thanks, Andy!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a life-long Yankees fan, too, and agree with almost all of the points Glacies raised. We have been spoiled by year after year of success (home-grown or purchased!), and many Yanks fans are bemoaning the fact that the team is missing the playoffs this year. Get over it, folks--we should count our blessings and be thankful for the run the team has had. Just take a look at the Pirates and their long-suffering fans--this was their first winning season in 21 years!!! And we have the nerve to complain about the Yanks missing the playoffs for the 2nd time in 19 years??? Shameful....

We Yankees fans should also all get down on our knees and thank the Lord above for Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera, two total class acts. Rivera, in particular, is in a class by himself. My family and I were lucky enough to be at Yankee Stadium for the final home game last Thursday night and the unforgettable spectacle of Mo's last relief appearance. Just an unbelievable moment when Pettitte and Jeter came on the field to take him out of the game. Not many dry eyes in the house, I can tell you. I felt priveleged to be there and see it in person. I know I'll never forget it.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That's one way of looking at it. Like you, I was was also born and raised in The Bronx....only I'm 25 years older. So I went through all the terrible teams of the early 70's...so when they finally started winning I could REALLY appreciate it. Anyway...this past season was one of the most enjoyable for me. With all the injuries the Yankees had absolutely no chance this year, and they managed to be on top for awhile and then kept it close for maybe 2/3 of the season. They had no name players replacing known players who were replacing star players. I think Girardi truly was manager of the year. I didn't expect to enjoy a season seeing the Yankees lose...but I gained a lot of respect for them this year. Unfortunately it's going to be a long time before they have another good season in my opinion.