Thread: I Know A Little --on amphetamines or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Know A Little --on amphetamines or not?

Funny thing at a recent gig. I'd noted to our drummer a couple of times that we were dragging a bit on the Skynrd classic, and he should pick it up starting with the high hat intro. He took it to heart, on steroids. Started the song at this gig at a frantic pace, and before I could turn to him to back him off a tad, James started the intro riff so we were pretty much locked in. I thought it freakish funny fast, but our bass player and an audience member noted the original is crazy fast too. Haven't checked. I still think it's so fast it's like a cartoon, but haven't checked the original to compare. Thoughts?

https://app.box.com/s/579lha62hhsag9juuc4e
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

WOW.......the original isn't quite as fast as your version but I'd have to play them side by side to definitively say how much of a difference there was. The speed dropped a bit around the 1 minute mark. lol Anyway, it was a fun, barnstorming version and if it was FAST, who cares because the whole band went at the same speed and that's the only thing that counts. Your band is like a Ferrari on the Autobahn.....that if you want to go faster, it's no problem at all. Great playing as usual.......you and James just play great.

I remember way back 35-40 years ago when we would go clubbing in New Jersey, there was a super cover band with 2 guitarists......one guy played slide and the other played regular........man were they great. You and James remind me of that band from my youth.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's a close call now that I've listened to the original version. I found ours really quick when I could barely keep up on the main riff. Hence the odd almost stereo quality of the two guitars being almost on but slightly apart.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's too far off to be a problem. The intro is a tad rushed though. Mostly I'll always notice first if I have trouble phrasing the vocals. If I'm stumbling there to spit out words then I know it's too fast. Your version doesn't seem bad at all. It is a tweaker song for sure. It seems like the bass is trying to stay too on top of the beat. If he played a tad behind it then it wouldn't seem so rushed at this tempo maybe?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

This kicks butt! It happens to be my all time favorite Skynrd tune and you guys played it very well, including the slide solo. This is awesome. It may have felt rushed to you but I think your tempo was darn close to the original song. It really moves on the original track. Great job on this!

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spud. Yeah, it does feel rushed at the beginning. The bass part comment is interesting. May bring that up.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim. Feedback much appreciated.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I don't think it's too far off to be a problem. The intro is a tad rushed though. Mostly I'll always notice first if I have trouble phrasing the vocals. If I'm stumbling there to spit out words then I know it's too fast. Your version doesn't seem bad at all. It is a tweaker song for sure. It seems like the bass is trying to stay too on top of the beat. If he played a tad behind it then it wouldn't seem so rushed at this tempo maybe?
    Very cool tune. It is pretty fast.

I agree that if the bass pulled off the beat a bit that it would swing better. I'd like to hear the lead guitar come out front more too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, NWB. Agree on all points, although it's worth noting that live recordings -- just using the H4N -- can be pretty different night to night.
    helliott in Hamilton