Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Like ZOIKS! (2nd) NGD/Battle of the Cheapie Strats!

Thread: Like ZOIKS! (2nd) NGD/Battle of the Cheapie Strats!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Like ZOIKS! (2nd) NGD/Battle of the Cheapie Strats!

So a few weeks ago I bought a cheapie Squier Standard Strat. Rosewood board, big headstock, 2-point trem. Blonde w/tort guard and white pups/knobs, agathis body, alnico pickups. For a Benjamin, but also included a gigbag and a Kustom 12A hybrid practice amp.

I'd been Stratless for a year or so. Not a huge Strat fan, but I like to have at least one of that type in the stable for completeness's sake. A cheapie is fine to fill the bill.

Then a couple weeks later, another cheapie comes along. Missing trem arm, but with a strap. No bag/case. This'un's a Squier "Deluxe Stratocaster." They street for about $60 more ($300) than a Standard Squier. Basswood body, maple board, small headstock, Duncan Designed alnicos, 2-point trem, white pickguard/pups/knobs. Daphne blue.

So, I got the Deluxe as well, and will let 'em shoot it out. I like the smaller headstock and maple board of the Deluxe better. Not a fan of basswood, but agathis isn't a proper trad Strat body wood either, so that call is 50/50. Not a huge fan of Daphne Blue, but the Standard has a mismatched join that visually bugs me a bit (this has always been a pet peeve of mine). So I'm leaning towards the Deluxe from a visual perspective.

Here's the NGD grrl, Daphne:

Here's the Standard, Rosie:

What say you, fellow forumites? I'll probably sell one as is, and keep the gigbag and amp from the first deal, and the strap from the second.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.... how do they sound? BTW, is the body on Rosie thicker than that on Daphne, or is that just a trick of the lighting? Seems I remember reading that some of the Squier models have thinner bodies.I know what you mean about the mismatch of wood color that happens sometimes - bugs me, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Just from a visual, Rosie wins for me. Like my girls full figured.......don't want a skinny waif. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I got rid of all my Standard Squier Strats, except for the Cherryburst, after getting the Deluxe. I liked it so much I got one in each color and have gigged often with the white one, but the blue one sounds a little better for some reason.

I hope you enjoy your Deluxe as much as I have mine.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prefer the Deluxe. I really like spud's that I have tried, and like the blue and maple. I would just put a tort guard on it to spice it up a little.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I just played them both unplugged for awhile. Between the smaller headstock, maple board, and better action on the Deluxe, I'll probably go with Daphne. Unless when I plug her in she sounds terrible compared to Rosie. And I doubt that'll be the case, since the Duncan Designeds are supposedly an upgrade from the ones on the Standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I liked the neck on that deluxe model too. Getting pretty close to the neck on my MIM which I just love. I can't remember if the one on the deluxe was satin (which I prefer) or gloss like on the CV's.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    . I liked it so much I got one in each color ...
    ! One of each color!?!? Spudman, only you...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    ! One of each color!?!? Spudman, only you...!
    Not actually. One of our other forum members, Zman, got 1 in each color before I did. That's what gave me the idea. Sort of...

After I got the white one and realized just how good they were, I just kept my eyes open for a good deal on a blue one...then, voila! One magically appeared at my house.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for a sonic blue srtat myself..............deluxe for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    I am looking for a sonic blue srtat myself..............deluxe for me!
    I love my CV Strat. The 2 and 4 position tones sound so sweet. I really don't need another Strat, but the Deluxes sure are tempting.
    Sweetwater has 2 pearl whites...
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FepFMgod7moAlA