Thread: Peavey Express 112?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Express 112?

So I was browsing the used section of GuitarCenter and found this.

http://http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-EXPRESS-112-COMBO-AMP-109633949-i3459052.gc#

I need an amp that I can jam with my friends with. (A singer/drummer/bassist)

Does anybody own this amp? Do you like it? Do you think this would be a good buy?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own one but the newer versions of the Peavey 112 amps sound quite a bit better with the Transtube technology. This is an old school solid state amp and the cleans might be good but any settings with gain seem to lack generally. If you can try it for a while before you buy it would be best. Some of those older amps took pedals pretty well if I remember.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of these and really liked it. Like Spud says, the cleans are great and it does play well with pedals, but the higher gain settings are nothing to write home about. They're built like tanks and are a great value for the $$.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I will be using a distortion pedal and not the gain that is part of the amp, so that should sound good then right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 47Taskmaster84 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will be using a distortion pedal and not the gain that is part of the amp, so that should sound good then right?
    I've seen guys in clubs using them and they really sounded good for what they were doing. I couldn't tell you what pedals or guitars they used, but I do think it was single coil guitars. I was surprised when I found out what amp they were using because it sounded good, but these guys were pros too. And yes, built like a tank.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not familiar with the Express but I have the Peavey Studio 112 that I also bought used online from Guitar Center, the one with the rounded front and I love it. It has distortion reminiscent of the old classic chorus 212. And the cleans aren't bad either. Either one is a great amp for the price. And I'm with Spudman. They are built tough! The only con I have found is that they sound really loud when your practicing but when you get the other band members behind you the volume takes a noticeable drop. Of course mic-ing fixes that.