Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Stoked! (and nervous) New playing Opp!

Thread: Stoked! (and nervous) New playing Opp!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Stoked! (and nervous) New playing Opp!

I have been wanting for some time a live playing opportunity, but oriented toward rock, especially a bit more modern and alt-ish, Basically a chance to get a little loud. So last week I answered an ad in the local paper I found placed by a local drummer who had been in a local band for 17 years that was looking for musicians to jam with, after the band finally broke up. I called the guy and he seems straight up, is interested in playing modern rock and into type of music I would like to play as well including Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, etc. He also would like to play around with some RHCP sounding stuff. Fine with me!

He wanted to get together just me and him and jam. That totally freaked me out as I have never tried to carry both rhythm and lead guitar in a trio, much less without a bass player. But, . . . just talked to another guitarist last night that might fit, has similar interests (though would like to work in some jam band type music ala Umphrey's McGee, and wants to experiment with just some jamming on our own to see what we come up with. I checked it out with the drummer, and he was cool with it, so this guy is going to join in too. He, and the drummer, were quite encouraging as I described my limited band experience and basically want me to let go and just start out simply and see where it goes.

We are getting together Sunday for a couple hours to try it out. I plan on having one or two songs over to the guys to look at so we can start with something I am familiar with. I am thinking "Elderly Woman" as I have been playing that a lot, and also Crazy Mary as it is simple, and leads into a long jam opportunity. Then just go with the flow. Stoked!! If this works, it could turn into the rock/modern/altish playing opportunity I had been hoping for!

Advice anyone?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. Hope it works out Steve. My only advice, which I have not followed myself on a few unfortunate occasions, is to keep an eye open for ego. Hopefully everyone is interested in the songs not their own prowess. Sounds like it could be fun and a reward for you. I wish for you the kind of collaborative feel we are fortunate to have in our band. Best wishes.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks helliott. The good thing is I really don't have ego about it at all, so however I can fit in and play is better than not playing. I am hoping it works out too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Just play to fhe best of your abilities with enthusiasm and confidence. Try not to worry about the occasional flub, just shrug it off and get back in the groove. I'd rather listen The Clash over emotionless shredding any day of the week.

Above all... Have Fun!

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Okay so that was totally awesome!! I am very glad I called that Ad. Did I mention . . . , that was awesome! All three of us looked at each other part way through, and we were all smiles. We have plans to continue, once a week, beginning after I get back from Thanksgiving holiday.

Tom, the other guitarist, arrived first, shortly followed by Cliff, the drummer. Cliff brought his electric kit, so that we could start off at lower volume. We did introductions, set up, and got right to it. Tom brought his custom built tweed deluxe clone and his Suhr fat strat, finished in a metallic orange/bronze with a maple board.

Started out with a basic chord progression and basic rhythm to warm up, and Tom and I swapped off rhythm and lead duties.

We then messed around with basically the ending chord progression in Pearl Jam's "Crazy Mary" again swapping off lead and rhythm, and having warmed up, getting a bit more aggressive with it. We all hit it off right away. Everyone kept in time pretty well. Cliff is a darned good drummer, and Tom has been in bands before, and is I would hazard a bit more experienced and very comfortable with leads and rhythms. As I said, he enjoys jam music in the style of Umphrey's McGee, but was quite happy with the song choices for the day, which came mostly from Cliff's list.

Next, we launched into a number of tunes Cliff was interested in playing and which he hoped would be simple enough in structure for moderate initial success. He was right.

We got into:

Last Kiss, by Pearl Jam (which was more or less the warm up chord progression we played around with at first)
    Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Pearl Jam (my choice for the day)
    Doesn't Remind Me, by Audioslave (My personal favorite of the day.)
    Black, by Pearl Jam (another fun one)
    Wish List, another Pearl Jam one. We got on a roll in Pearl Jam land for a while.
    Some Stone Temple Pilots song. I can't remember which one right now.
    Oh Me, by Nirvana
    Creep, Radiohead version
    Then circled back to Doesn't Remind Me and rant that a few times to get it really down, and then with Tom and I swapping off roles for entire run-throughs. Cliff did the singing today.

That took up the couple hours we had. We finished very enthused and pleased with finding other musicians with similar interests and desire, and with the ability to play together in fairly short order. Though I may be the least experienced, I am inspired to learn and progress quickly. And playing with others and being required to know a set list all the way through is what has propelled progress for me in the past. Plus the guys thought I was doing just fine and are comfortable with our trio. We may add a bass player Tom knows later on, but that remains to be seen.

This is Cliff's proposed list, and I will add mine on, as will Tom I am sure.

I am so stoked that I called that ad, and then ran into Tom, and that we got this thing going!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome, Steve!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Stoked! (and nervous) New playing Opp!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    That's awesome, Steve!
    Thanks Robert!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very happy for you Steve there's nothing like playing in a band and having this feeling that hours pass like seconds and Music is the most important damn Thing ! It already look like a great set list BTW who is supposed to sing in the band ? Would you or Tom ?

I remember that years ago (most probably already 10 years) I advice my son to find some musicians and create a Band since he was lonely with his drum set in his sleeping room. since then he never part from the Band and has been touring extensively in the east european countries for the last ten years to much of his and my delight

Keep it going Steve and keep us up to date !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jipes!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, and regarding singing, right now Cliff, the drummer, sings. He has a nice voice and picked the songs to fit his taste and range. I am of similar, but more limited range and so hopefully will do some singing too, at least backup or on a couple numbers I want to do. Not sure about Tom's interest there.

We are going to get a date set for after I return from a thanksgiving holiday and forge ahead!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, a great report! I am enjoying your excitement vicariously... hope it keeps being as fun and exhilarating!

Post Thanks / Like

Bosstastic Steve! Would that everyone who wanted to play in a group setting had the opportunity! I have been very blessed and fortunate in that regard. One of the things I love about Gainesville.

Break a leg, laddie!