Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tracktion's Back!

Thread: Tracktion's Back!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tracktion's Back!

Upgrading to a new computer a couple of months ago I realized I could no longer activate the old version of Mackie Tracktion 2 I've been using for years. What a pleasant surprise to find that the software is now back in the hands of its original developer Julian Storer (Mackie had let it fester for years). Not only that but a new version to boot!

I've been raving about this software since beta and swear by it. I used to be a huge fan of Cubase but hated the overhead and complexity. This is as simple and effective as it gets. If anyone's interested you can follow the linky-poo below and download the demo:

http://www.tracktion.com/

I also retired my old M-Audio Firewire 410 and replaced it with a Focusrite Scarlett USB interface. Sweet piece of gear that comes with a nice set of VSTs.:

Here's a track recorded in Tracktion 4 using S-Gear plugin for the guitar signal (audio routed through the Scarlett). Additional plugins used - aforementioned Scarlett Plug-in Suite and Ozone 5 for polished final mix. I posted a similar recording some time ago you can use for comparison as I feel this sounds way more polished - owed to better playing and components/plugins.

https://soundcloud.com/petegnj/gimme-shelter

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, tracktion seems like an interesting daw but I am so at home with Cubase...plus I also use most of its features I think. I feel going to other daws would cripple my workflow badly.

Very interesting about the Focusrite. I'm just about to buy a new soundcard, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to Focusrite sapphire pro 40 or Presonus Firestudio project (and as a dark horse maybe motu) and focusrite is winning at the mo. It should have the best preamps of the bunch, and powerful if a little cryptic monitor mixer. Presonus also has quite ok preamps if not as good however, and is a solid performer with a simple monitor mix system - my current one is a Presonus. The motu I guess is a bit more lacking in preamps but has best d/a converters and is arguably most pro device in terms of overall performance. Maybe.

I may order the Focusrite tonight...hmm...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used Tracktion, but I also just grabbed a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. I'm very happy with the purchase.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I finally ordered a Focusrite too...Liquid Saffire 56.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who has the Saffire 56 in his studio. I've used it and thought it was a great piece. I'm sure it will be great.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got it crazy cheap, otherwise would not have bought so expensive a card. Basically got it the same price as the 40, a demo item from a store. But, turns out they'd sold the demo item yesterday and since I already paid it and all they have to send me a new one at their loss...
    Dee