Thread: Robben Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Default Robben Ford

Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him at a VIP reception. Very down to earth dude, no BS. He was in our town doing a charity gig for the local college music program. Did the reception, a master class open to the public the next day and a show in the 800 seat theatre the second night. The senior faculty from the Mowhawk program played B3, drums, bass and a trombone -- if you've heard the new album One Day in Nashville you will understand the trombone thing. Highly recommend the album.
    The show was awesome as you can imagine. And his backline was a couple of Fenders off the shelf of the nearest Long and McQuade -- Fender Bluesman and another Fender. Guess what? The amps don't make the difference. He didn't have his own incredible amps, just the Epi Sheraton and his trusty Tele. And he is amazing, pure and simple. Guy has more taste in his left hand than most players around, in my view any way.
    All round, great experience. Check out the album.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, duh. The Epi is his classic Riviera, not a Sheraton. But he definitely did not have the Dumble
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised the dude looks really nice and humble despite a fantastic career. I always digged his style and perfect bending technique he's for sure a pal of Larry Carlton on this subject, no wonder why the two did a tour together
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like his stuff!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

He was the opposite of so many so called stars. He was quick to praise others, and was genuinely happy when I said how much the new album impressed me. Told the story of how he fractured his wrist in the process and had to delay finishing the work, and gave all the credit to his tech/engineer/producer and right-hand man, who was with him but whose name I cannot recall. I haven't met many musicians of his stature but the only others have been similarly real and humble. Met the guys from Los Lobos at a similar event a few years ago and they were the same. And we went to see John Prine one time, met him outside when he was having a smoke. He was as real as can be. Maybe the best "real" music is made by folks like this? Nice to think so.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Huge fan of Robben's cool to hear that he was so down to earth. Given your success, I venture to guess part of it is your own style when greeting them. If you're not wide eyed gape mouthed with a sharpie in one hand and phone cued for a selfie in the other, it goes a long way. Well done!'
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. To be honest, I thought of an i-Phone pic to show the guys in the band. But when I saw all the other folks gathering round to get their pic with Robben, I just thought it was too weird. He was very generous with all the pic seekers and album signers, but I couldn't help but wonder what he must have thought of the whole thing. In hindsight, I'm glad I did my usual thing and just had a pleasant and informed conversation. A lot more substantive than a pic with the guy wearing a forced smile.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

I do not listen to blues for entertainment i am more into heavy art prog stuff but I will never say a single bad thing about Robbin Ford. He is a great player and a great man. Much respect to him and much envy to you for getting to meet him haha