Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Giving up guitar

Thread: Giving up guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Giving up guitar

As of today, I listed my last remaining electric guitar and one amp for sale on craigslist. It's weird, but I guess I have arrived at the conclusion that guitar has too great of a danger of being self-indulgent. For me anyway.

These days, I can sing, play guitar, drums, and bass capably, and it's been a long time since I've played much on the electric. But recently I came across a situation where I might be best suited to play electric guitar again, and I found myself starting to obsess about guitar and losing sight of the larger musical goals. And I became a bit more egocentric about music and how I would need to make sure I was heard properly.

Quite frankly, that's not an attitude I ever have when filling any other musical role. I believe, above all, that any musician should be making the song the best f-ing song it could possibly be, and anything less is simply unacceptable. But putting myself above the song is something I just can't help but do when I pick up an electric guitar. I start thinking more about my guitar lines and less about the overall song. Some would call that passion, but I call it self-indulgence. To that end, I listed my remaining guitar gear on CL today. I love music as much as almost anything in life, but I can no longer do it the disservice of keeping the black hole of electric guitar as a viable option for me.

The sad part, of course, is that I love the electric guitar and most of my musical tastes and influences are very heavily based around electric guitar (STP, King's X, Beatles, Radiohead, etc.). But you do what you have to do.

For those of you who will continue to play it (and believe me, there are plenty), do me the favor of being responsible with your volume, understanding you are part of the picture and not the picture itself, and listen to and working with the other musicians with whom you play. You owe it to the gift of music to act responsibly in that way.

That's all. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but even though this forum is dying, I still feel like many of you know me better than a lot of people I have met and would consider to be my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Eric - sounds like you've been thinking about this for a while and have come to this conclusion, but if not, can I counsel hanging on a bit? If you really love the guitar, and just playing, keeping your one electric and an amp is pretty spartan and non-self-indulgent. Maybe put em in the closet and let the concerns rest for a bit while you keep on with your other musical pursuits. I think that keeping one's ego in check is an admirable pursuit - if only more people would develop some consciousness about it... "being heard properly" is part of making the music work, and I imagine that you would be pretty responsible in an actual band format about your relative volume.

I've always enjoyed your thoughtful posts, and I, too, am sorry - and a bit perplexed - about the trajectory of the Fret in the last year. Whatever you decide, best wishes for keeping on with the music.

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Wow, Eric - sounds like you've been thinking about this for a while and have come to this conclusion, but if not, can I counsel hanging on a bit? If you really love the guitar, and just playing, keeping your one electric and an amp is pretty spartan and non-self-indulgent. Maybe put em in the closet and let the concerns rest for a bit while you keep on with your other musical pursuits. I think that keeping one's ego in check is an admirable pursuit - if only more people would develop some consciousness about it... "being heard properly" is part of making the music work, and I imagine that you would be pretty responsible in an actual band format about your relative volume.

I've always enjoyed your thoughtful posts, and I, too, am sorry - and a bit perplexed - about the trajectory of the Fret in the last year. Whatever you decide, best wishes for keeping on with the music.

Ted
    Thanks. I understand your sentiment, and it's one of the major points I have wrestled with, but ultimately at some point I feel it necessary to make a decision and go with it without sussing out every last possibility.

Music just seems more fulfilling and meaningful and creative to me when I'm not playing guitar. I fully expect people to chime in as to why that doesn't apply to them (defensive), but whatever. As corroborated by my wife, life is better without that obsession. But thanks for your feedback.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, spousal corroboration is always a good indicator - at least in my experience! And if the rest of your music making is more meaningful without the gitbox, then that's the clincher.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree with Ted, speaking as a person who still wants his old Peavey p bass back. But hey, unless you are massively attached to that guitar...

I've recently decided to bail on my attempts to be a lead guitarist and focus on rhythm. I'm learning some songs and am much happier. I just realized I don't have the dexterity or the practice time available to do that. It was all kind of a pipe dream in the first place.

Best of luck with the bass!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While I don't personally understand your viewpoint, I fully support your desire to put the song first. I wish more guitar players saw the bigger picture. What confuses me is the need to completely eliminate all guitars when they are just innocent, well, mostly innocent.

I'm glad you will continue to play various musical roles and instruments. Like most of us, you'd feel empty without creating music that you love.

I guess my guitar playing goals are a little different than many others. If I never play in public or in a band, I'm fine. I enjoy sitting in front of the TV or on the edge of the bed, softly finger picking an acoustic, or creating new rhythm progressions on the electric. It is my sanctuary or meditation as well as a creative outlet. The same goes with my keyboard. I'm the most creative there and hated the times when I had nothing to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    While I don't personally understand your viewpoint, I fully support your desire to put the song first. I wish more guitar players saw the bigger picture. What confuses me is the need to completely eliminate all guitars when they are just innocent, well, mostly innocent.

I'm glad you will continue to play various musical roles and instruments. Like most of us, you'd feel empty without creating music that you love.

I guess my guitar playing goals are a little different than many others. If I never play in public or in a band, I'm fine. I enjoy sitting in front of the TV or on the edge of the bed, softly finger picking an acoustic, or creating new rhythm progressions on the electric. It is my sanctuary or meditation as well as a creative outlet. The same goes with my keyboard. I'm the most creative there and hated the times when I had nothing to play.
    Yeah I understand. And I like playing acoustic at home and will continue to do that. But the alpha-dog guitarist thing where there's that attraction of power and being 'the guy' or whatever...it's too much for me. I get sucked in and pretty soon I'm more obsessed with how I am doing and my tone than I am concerned with making meaningful music. It's not really a lack-of-ability thing either, as I am capable of playing at what I consider to be a pretty high level. But I do get too consumed by it.

I hope that some people can temper it, because I like guitar and want to play with capable people. But there's a pit of ego you can fall into, and for me it's too much of a danger. I look at it kind of like alcoholism or something -- some people can handle booze just fine, others become addicted.

I see the same thing in some other people and I feel for them and their obsession, but I know it's a decision for each person to make on his or her own.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad Eric, perhaps you can work on that obsession vs making music thing, instead of quitting completely? Hope you can find a way to play and be happy and still make good music!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of you might be missing the point that I like and am pretty competent in many other areas of music. I'm not giving up music or anything - I just find the guitar to be a little too self indulgent.

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun on other instruments!

I don't think I'll ever stop playing guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Have fun on other instruments!

I don't think I'll ever stop playing guitar.
    Thanks! Just gave away my only electric last night, though I'm planning to keep my acoustic.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Thanks! Just gave away my only electric last night, though I'm planning to keep my acoustic.
    Something strong must be going on here, to separate a guitar from its guitar player.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if Eric posts that he's shaved his head and joined a monastery, we'll know what it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Well, if Eric posts that he's shaved his head and joined a monastery, we'll know what it is!
    Hahaha. Indeed!