Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How to revive this place - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to revive this place

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    For me it was more discrediting, judgmental posts than whiny and negative ones. Kind of like if you didn't agree with the person, you were automatically stupid; it's like they were made for the internet!
    Wow, some people!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would view discrediting and judgemental attitudes/posts as something negative and unwanted, but in any case, there are rules for the forum. If anyone is braking them, they get one warning and then they are banned if they continue.

In reality, what one views as negative and judgemental may seem like regular talk to someone else. For example, someone posts a picture of a guitar and another guys says "that pickguard doesn't look right". Some people may get offended by that comment, but it's fine to say, according to the rules. Another may say "the pickguard is ugly", same there. But if someone says "what a stupid choice you made choosing that pickguard", then I view that as a personal attack, and I would give a warning. If these things happen, just let me know.

I think the people were doing most of this stuff that we don't want are no longer active.

Also, I think/hope we can be adults and get along and enjoy the topics discussed.

I for one try to not respond to a thread if I think I can't contribute with something positive or constructive for the group as a whole. For example, I don't like smooth jazz, but if that topic was posted frequently and people enjoy discussing it, I wouldn't keep jumping in and telling everyone how much I hate smooth jazz.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I for one try to not respond to a thread if I think I can't contribute with something positive or constructive for the group as a whole. For example, I don't like smooth jazz, but if that topic was posted frequently and people enjoy discussing it, I wouldn't keep jumping in and telling everyone how much I hate smooth jazz.
    That's a good attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta admit I haven't posted or visited lately, been busy and focused on other things. I will post some new stuff, just bought a new bass and amp, am building a slide-o-caster, got a new Gretsch, bought and sold a couple of Reverends, so I guess some NGD's and pics are in order. I came here initially to research Hell guitars and liked reading Syo's posts...still have my Hell No 2 and love it! I always felt welcomed and never got the insults and snarkiness you get on some of the more popular forums, but like the more neighborly feel around here better. Anyway, glad to see many of you are still around, I'll stop in more often...

Now where did I put that camera...

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I'm definitely guilty of not posting around here for quite a while as well.

For me, it was a matter of just putting in a ton of hours at work... For most work days over the last year and a half, I've been getting home really late. I just haven't had time to pick up the ol' Strat, much less catch up with what was happening here. Haven't touched my guitar once in that time, and that truly sucks.

I've missed this place, and the friendly atmosphere. The itch to play is stronger than ever, so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to play at night, after everyone goes to bed. That way, I won't feel like a dork who doesn't have anything to contribute.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello dear members and Robert, my two cents are that forums are deserted everywhere I participate quite actively to three of them (other than the Fret) and everywhere it's the same story Facebook and Twitter have eaten up most of the participants. To bounce back on Eric first comment yes indeed the presence of teh Forum administrator an creator play a big role on the dynamic of a discussion forum. As for posting stuff like sound files or videos I realize that most of them (at least the one that I posted) receives generally one or two answers or comments so after a while I guess no ones feel like their stuff would interest the others and stop posting.

In the blues Forum where I am admin we have a virtual studio and try to record together collaborative projects it's not very easy and time eaters but certainly very fun
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments, I hope we get some new and old members more active, it's really a group effort. I understand if I spent more time posting cool stuff, it might pick up faster. It's just hard for me to find the time.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it's mostly that people tend to only have the time for a few forums to frequent, or only one.

For me, Facebook and social media don't affect my forum use much if any- I do follow a few fb groups and post there too, but it's completely different. I see FB mostly as a communication tool, not a place to chat and mingle.

For me, it's simply that another very lively forum has eaten up my time. It's a difficult thing to strike a great balance for what works and what doesn't.

I think the initial reasons I was looking for other forums than this were mostly that there was some issue about not being allowed to post a blog if you hadn't contributed or something - that was changed though I think, but the damage was done. I think I contributed even, but it just felt bad to pay to post stuff, especially when there weren't that many commentators on it.

Seems petty now, and I suppose it was a very minor thing back then too, but still enough to spark interest in checking out if there are other places.

Then another thing was, I think, a bit too strict rules to my taste. The other forum allowed more leeway in talking about subjects such as politics or religion and even allowed a little head-butting among members as long as it didn't get out of hand. I guess I just feel like if you can't talk about everything on your mind even if it's just a little, it feels like you're faking it, not being yourself and feels kinda like I felt when I was staying in the states - everything seems policed and watched and forbidden so there is no feeling of freedom, and that's an important feeling for me coming from a free country where I can walk on anybody's lands and not worry about being' trespassing' and hitch-hike and walk the highways without being looked at like a criminal and stopped by every policeman with questions and such.

Well later on the other forum also closed up the religion/politics threads but still overall they don't instantly jump on people having a little heated discussion or such.

I dunno, I sometimes even felt you can't be real friends with somebody before you've bloodied each other's noses at once at least, maybe that is exaggerating but nevertheless. There has to be a certain air of freedom in the air.

Not saying there isn't at the moment, I don't really know not frequently being here, but the other forum is really active and I've met many people there with whom I've recorded songs with, even currently finalizing an EP release with somebody I met there and we will continue making music, not just jams but proper releases even.

I would love to come here more often too though, but we'll see...got lots on my hands. I have one full album to make vocals and lyrics for this summer, another full album to mix and produce and sing, and b three EP's I'm getting ready to release as well. Plus collaboration videos. I should be working on them even while I write this...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe more of our members need to enhance their local economies by buying new gear, and then posting lots of luscious pictures here on The Fret. That sounds like a win/win situation!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Maybe more of our members need to enhance their local economies by buying new gear, and then posting lots of luscious pictures here on The Fret. That sounds like a win/win situation!
    You said it! Just wish I hadn't dropped $5K I didn't entirely have on surgery to save our dog's eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Brian, hope your dog is doing great!

Good to hear your feedback, everyone. Keep it coming.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to pitch in from time to time, but I haven't gigged in quite a while and am more focused on riding my bicycle. When I play music I tend to get excited about it, but this long without playing with other people, I've not picked up the guitar in weeks...for the first time since I was 15 years old. Sigh! Hopefully that situation will change in the near future.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I'd love to pitch in from time to time, but I haven't gigged in quite a while and am more focused on riding my bicycle. When I play music I tend to get excited about it, but this long without playing with other people, I've not picked up the guitar in weeks...for the first time since I was 15 years old. Sigh! Hopefully that situation will change in the near future.
    Spud, what's up? I hadn't heard that you were band-less - unusual for you, no? Can't imaging you going for weeks without playing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Spud, what's up? I hadn't heard that you were band-less - unusual for you, no? Can't imaging you going for weeks without playing!
    Yeah, but you should see his legs these days!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed, the legs are looking good, but not like that.

My last band, the drummer graduated and moved to Seattle and the bass player is running a hospital somewhere. I tried another project with some seasoned players but that went nowhere...and I don't play country. I'm just in a location that doesn't really support live music, but the outdoor activities are awesome and I can do them by myself.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been playing the guitar much lately so my interest in the forum has waned. I really do need to get back to it, I picked up a guitar during a break while moving some friends and was appalled at how many simple licks and songs I'd forgotten.

I don't remember any negativity in posts, I always liked hanging out here and as a newbie to the guitar I learned a lot in the last few years from here.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Robert, moderators and active forum members! Some of you might remember me. I used to be a contributing member many years ago.
    It is kind of sad reading about the inactivity and seeing that this beautiful forum suffers from inactivity. I know, I know, it’s easy to stop by now and say “hey guys, go on, don’t give in”, when I myself, haven’t been posting in years. Unfortunately, I have no proper solution to the problem at hand. However, I’d like to express that I owe many great experiences to The Fret.

I remember the many inspiring videos and dedicated discussions that really made me improve as a player. Not to forget the familiar approach. It wasn’t only once that we have also discussed personal things here and yes, sometimes I needed to be lifted up when I was down, and many of the members here were willing to do so. Although, I am not very active on the internet or any other forums anymore, I will always appreciate and value these experiences at The Fret very highly! Never have I found such a great companionship in any other forum – NEVER!

I fully respect Robert’s position and tight schedule, becoming more engaged due to his professionalism. I congratulate you to this wonderful development – you deserve this Robert.
    Also do I believe that you have created a forum basis, strong enough to go on, without you being present each and every day.

Most of the musicians I know welcomed facebook and concentrated mainly on FB activities. Here they could share information the quickest and build a community, they could spotlight their persona more effectively. Regarding gear questions, well almost everything is said and done and almost everything is reviewed and filmed, so many people do not feel the need to post their questions in a forum – they Google the topic, read the posts and have their questions answered. This lead to the fact that most guitar related forums broke down to small diehard communities. Some forums became dumps, where people only come to post their youtube links and do not really participate in a constructive way, nor come back to read the feedbacks to their posts. This is sad and tough times for forums.

I cross my fingers for you and wish you manage to keep this place vivid and gather new and passionate blood.

Maybe you will undergo a period where only a core of members stays active, but I am convinced that better times will come.

All the best

Jimi75
    ….still a guy without a facebook profile ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

It's also possible that Reddit has taken over as a primary forum for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear from you, Jimi! Have an Altbier for me!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast