Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How to revive this place
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to revive this place

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to revive this place

Hey guys, it's sad that this place is not more active. It used to be!

Tell me your thoughts.

Suggestions for making it more fun and interesting?

How to draw in more members, and how to make current members more active?

I'd love to hear some input.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it's a personal preference thing, plus people being busy and having limited time. For me it was more interesting and sticky when more people posted their music, either their personal recordings with backers or recordings of their performances or just noodling. I have all the gear I need and don't do my own mods, so that part of it doesn't move me much. It's more about musical interaction. The days when one person would start something on a backer and others would add their interpretation were good times. But granted, that requires some time and energy.

Good that you're asking these questions. Hopefully others will chime in.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly Robert, I think a lot of it has to do with your personal involvement. Since you have gotten more invested with your pro lessons, this forum has died. IMO, it's not a coincidence. People have found other forums to frequent that feed the dog in whatever their specific leaning was, but I think they would wander back if the brain trust was there. Hopefully you find some more time to be involved here -- it's a good forum and I miss the activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope that's not the case, Eric. When I did post a lot of lessons the last year or so, I rarely got any responses, so I didn't feel I should keep that going. Also, I don't buy much gear anymore, so I don't have so much gear talk to contribute with.

I was thinking people are more interested in gear talk than lessons, but there aren't many posts about anything anymore.

The 2 things that may be key are, 1) gear purchases - as long as we keep buying stuff and talking about it, people participate. And 2), if there are enough people posting backing tracks and their playing and perhaps also some lesson tips to go along with that, people might get active.

The problem is for me, that I don't have much time for either. Running a forum by participating in most threads every day takes time that I no longer have.

Perhaps there is a critical mass issue - if we get enough ongoing posts, perhaps things will change. As it is now, there aren't many new threads per week, and that just ain't gonna cut it!

I am just the admin guy...

Are there any other things I should try on this forum?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I sure hope that's not the case, Eric. When I did post a lot of lessons the last year or so, I rarely got any responses, so I didn't feel I should keep that going. Also, I don't buy much gear anymore, so I don't have so much gear talk to contribute with.

I was thinking people are more interested in gear talk than lessons, but there aren't many posts about anything anymore.

The 2 things that may be key are, 1) gear purchases - as long as we keep buying stuff and talking about it, people participate. And 2), if there are enough people posting backing tracks and their playing and perhaps also some lesson tips to go along with that, people might get active.

The problem is for me, that I don't have much time for either. Running a forum by participating in most threads every day takes time that I no longer have.

Perhaps there is a critical mass issue - if we get enough ongoing posts, perhaps things will change. As it is now, there aren't many new threads per week, and that just ain't gonna cut it!

I am just the admin guy...

Are there any other things I should try on this forum?
    Well, I think that's the key right there. Just because you don't have the time doesn't mean it isn't an important element of the community, you know? I agree that gear purchases and what not are part of it, but as each person goes their own way and has less of a personal stake in this particular message board, others will do likewise. I guess that's just the ebb and flow of things at times.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Forums can be real money and time eaters that bring in very little business while costing plenty. I see why you need to apply your energy towards what pays the bills.

Forums might help bring in a few customers for lessons, but your Dolphinstreet/MasterGuitarAcademy emails and websites likely work much better. Your past youtube lessons may have helped as well.

I've seen the ebb and flow of various forums and The Fret is no different in that aspect. People's lives and interests also ebb and flow. We haven't seen quite a few past "regulars" post in a long time. What makes or breaks a place is the interaction, frequency and content of member postings. The continued growth of social media like facebook probably impacts forums the hardest.

Post Thanks / Like

Very clearly and concisely put, Tig. I think you put your finger pretty squarely on the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to post more often in the Weekend thread, and otherwise.

I got my first new job in like 29 years, about a year and a half ago, and in addition to that I kept a couple additional clients that I do occasional side work for. As a result I haven't had as much time for forums, or for that matter, even for my band Crash Pad. Additionally, after hitting the 30 mark on guitars/basses, I'm not really buying gear either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Forums can be real money and time eaters that bring in very little business while costing plenty. I see why you need to apply your energy towards what pays the bills.

Forums might help bring in a few customers for lessons, but your Dolphinstreet/MasterGuitarAcademy emails and websites likely work much better. Your past youtube lessons may have helped as well.

I've seen the ebb and flow of various forums and The Fret is no different in that aspect. People's lives and interests also ebb and flow. We haven't seen quite a few past "regulars" post in a long time. What makes or breaks a place is the interaction, frequency and content of member postings. The continued growth of social media like facebook probably impacts forums the hardest.

I believe you have found the answer, Tig. Social media, for all it's good and bad, have begun to eat away at forums like these & the TDPRI because there are people creating groups on FB to talk about certain guitar brands or certain singers or bands - and I hate to see that, to be honest. I enjoy posting and belonging to a forum. It's like a "family" to me in that sense. On FB, something like this would have a lot less feeling of being part of a "family." Just my opinion.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What drew me to this place as a newb was two fold: 1) Robert and his expertise and unitimidating demeanor toward those of us starting out in midlife; and 2) the community of guitarists here that ranged from pros to other mid-life hobbyists that felt very comfortable. Our recorded "jams" over backing tracks were fun too and a part of the great encouragement.

The place also had a nice "water cooler" aspect to it. For me, as I became set up with plenty of gear, and as some of the old guard faded away and my own life became busier, my participation wained as well.

Other than re-committing to some things like a recorded jam or some other communal event that draws some folks that still check in back through the door, I don't know what the answer is. Unfortunately, I have too much on my plate to spearhead such an effort, though I would try to participate.

That's all I got. If there is another way i can help I will try.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same position with limited time and energy. But I am willing to help if there's consensus, perhaps by doing some BTs with room for other folks to offer their playing and interpretation. Not sure how much update there would be but I'm willing to try at any rate. Wonder if there are enough people into home recording etc to make it worthwhile?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm still around to be helpful, just ask and I'll try to help. I'm sure there are many other members who could contribute with lesson expertise etc, if we got the momentum going.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple people dropping lightly veiled insults has the effect of encouraging you not to come back to the forum. It has happened, believe me. Those negative people that can't contain their personal communication and other social problems, or whatever problems that motivate their attitude, should stay off the forum - and I hope they do.

This place did have a very friendly and family like vibe going on. It just takes a couple negative, insulting responses to your post to destroy that vibe. So if you are a negative person or get off on insulting others, or questioning the value of their motives, stay off the forum and maybe people will feel more at home and comfortable without you.

So, having a plan to stay on top of how people are interacting and reigning in those that might drive away people, could be effective in drawing people back in. I think having a sense of mutual respect in a small forum like this is important. On the other hand, most forums have a couple insolent participants that seem to like to turn people off.

Let's try to make it a positive place where people want to come to and participate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully we have mostly positive people left!

I agree - let's stay positive and make this place fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    A couple people dropping lightly veiled insults has the effect of encouraging you not to come back to the forum. It has happened, believe me. Those negative people that can't contain their personal communication and other social problems, or whatever problems that motivate their attitude, should stay off the forum - and I hope they do.

This place did have a very friendly and family like vibe going on. It just takes a couple negative, insulting responses to your post to destroy that vibe. So if you are a negative person or get off on insulting others, or questioning the value of their motives, stay off the forum and maybe people will feel more at home and comfortable without you.

So, having a plan to stay on top of how people are interacting and reigning in those that might drive away people, could be effective in drawing people back in. I think having a sense of mutual respect in a small forum like this is important. On the other hand, most forums have a couple insolent participants that seem to like to turn people off.

Let's try to make it a positive place where people want to come to and participate.
    You know, that's a really good point -- it was definitely a reason why I took a big big break from here. Some people who became bigger presences had very negative and judgmental attitudes. I hadn't actually thought of that until you mentioned it, but it's very relevant.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody wants a crabby, pissy attitude on a forum, so let's not do that! (There's always Facebook, or therapy, for that stuff).

Speak to and of others how you would like to be spoken to.

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another." (Napoleon Hill)

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Nobody wants a crabby, pissy attitude on a forum, so let's not do that! (There's always Facebook, or therapy, for that stuff).

Speak to and of others how you would like to be spoken to.

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another." (Napoleon Hill)

True.

Post Thanks / Like

I must have missed the crabby, pissy posts..... I've always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere here.

Napoleon Hill? Is that Benny's brother?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    I must have missed the crabby, pissy posts..... I've always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere here.

Napoleon Hill? Is that Benny's brother?
    For me it was more discrediting, judgmental posts than whiny and negative ones. Kind of like if you didn't agree with the person, you were automatically stupid; it's like they were made for the internet!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast