Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hello, Strangers!

Thread: Hello, Strangers!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hello, Strangers!

It's been a while since I've stopped in here (shame on me). How has everyone been?

The band is still together, and still not gigging (and I'm still okay with that at the moment). The good news on the band front is that after nagging them for about a year, we're finally delving into doing some original work. It's off to a slow start, due in part to our mismatched summer schedules, but we do have one song in the works. It's rough at the moment, but it's something. I hope to add more in the next few months, so wish me luck!

On the equipment front, I now have a "Big Boy Amph": A Bugera 333XLi. It's an all-tube, 120-watt, three-channel monster. I've been extremely pleased with what I can get out of the three channels: The Clean channel is good, and seems to have enough headroom for me, the Crunch channel is very Marshall-like, and the Lead channel has a more modern flavor, akin to a Mesa-Boogie. With that kind of variety on tap, I've done away with all my dirt pedals (for the band stuff, but not for home). Here's a pic of the cosmetically modified amp and cab that I use for band practice:

My guitar stable has rotated a bit, and I now have a few "super-Strats" in the stable. They work well for the band stuff, and I guess I have returned slightly (or more than slightly) to my Metal roots. Here's my current favorite player, a Schecter Blood Moon. I have changed the pickups out for some EMG Hetfields, as seen in the second photo. I love this guitar and these pickups!

I'm glad to see that there are still names here I recognize! What's up with you folks?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome back FrankenFretter! Nice bit of gear there. That happens to be my favorite Schecter (not sure why, but I've always liked them), especially with the new pickups you put in.

The only big item I got since you were here last is an SG Standard Natural Burst. It plays and sounds great!
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...-SG-content%29

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Doug! That is one sweet SG! An SG is still on my GAS list. Ultimately, I'd like a red one with a full pickguard, but that natural of yours is gorgeous!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from you, FF! Seeing your gear reminds me that you are a man after my own heart. I make my ears ring with my 20 watter. Your amp would probably kill me. The Schecter is seriously hawt too.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey man, good to see ya! Nice rig!

It's been quiet here, we need you and your great posts, and often!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert and Matt!

Matt, that amph sounds good at low volumes too. I do tend to get loud at band practice, but I always wear my PPE (earplugs). I have something a little pointier than the Schecter around here somewhere...in fact I just finished swapping the pickups in it. I'll have to snap some pics soon.

Moar new equipments: I got myself a Fender Mustang I (v2) on the local Craig's List for $50. It's been a great little practice amph. I also scored a Vox Pathfinder 15R for the same price a month or so later. After all I'd heard about the Pathfinder 15R, I figured I'd probably be disappointed due to over hype, but I love that amph. It's amazing how warm and tube-like it sounds, and the extension speaker out is pretty rad as well. For my birthday this March, my better half bought me an Orange Micro Terror. That's been a fun one to play with, especially swapping out different 12AX7s to see what tonal differences they make. I honestly thought it would be a bit more...Metal. But it is a great rock/blues/hard rock amph.

There's probably more, too. I did sell my Aria DM380, the Mosrite look-alike. And I sold my Agile Gold Top LP, my Blackstar HT5, my Roland Cube 60 and I took apart the Fender Princeton 65 and parted it out. I kept the cabinet to use for a...cabinet.

I'll post some more guitar pr0n later. I just got off of a 10-hour shift, and I'm HUNGRY!

-Sean

Post Thanks / Like

FF..........dude, nice to see you back. I figured you were still celebratin' the Seahawks victory in the SB. Of course, you know that you won't repeat as SB champs. Why? Simple, your QB is divorcing his wife of 2 yrs and there's all of that "hot model" dating that he'll be doing. lol

Nice gear too. I scored a Yamaha THR10c (the bluesy amp) and just love that thing. The ultimate bedroom amp for sure. Thinkin' of a Mustang III and then maybe a Frenzel or Trinity tube amp to finish that off.

Jonesing for another custom lap steel......this one with Lollar Supro and Lollar Gold Foil pups........for that Coodercaster sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    FF..........dude, nice to see you back. I figured you were still celebratin' the Seahawks victory in the SB. Of course, you know that you won't repeat as SB champs. Why? Simple, your QB is divorcing his wife of 2 yrs and there's all of that "hot model" dating that he'll be doing. lol

Nice gear too. I scored a Yamaha THR10c (the bluesy amp) and just love that thing. The ultimate bedroom amp for sure. Thinkin' of a Mustang III and then maybe a Frenzel or Trinity tube amp to finish that off.

Jonesing for another custom lap steel......this one with Lollar Supro and Lollar Gold Foil pups........for that Coodercaster sound.
    It figures that it would take me moving away from Washington for the 'Hawks to finally get what they deserved.

One of those Yamaha desktop modelers, eh? I'll have to check one out one of these days. A Frenzel or Trinity, that would be pretty sweet! I think my best hope of a boutique amph is one from Hovercraft up in Portland. I'm thinking about talking to them about a possible KT88 powered amp.

Great to hear from all you guys!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, FF. Cool of you to stop by -- things have been dead around here, as you have probably noticed. It's weird to hear updates from people. I now own zero electric guitars or guitar amphs and play mostly bass and drums, and I can't really see myself playing much other than bass going forward, but you never know where things will go.

Original music is a completely different beast from covers. I think they (covers and originals) are both extremely useful in teaching you stuff, but it's weird how they are so different in terms of mindset. It would be fun to hear some of your band's music if you get a decent recording; even just a well-placed mic or recorder in the middle of the room can give you pretty good results.

BTW, that's a very pretty guitar. And very red...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Super nice Schecter. I'm sure that is a great guitar.

Was that you that bought that red DBZ guitar? I saw a post on that and it was an awesome guitar at a great sale price. I think it was you that posted it. I'm not sure if it looks as nice as your Schecter but it definitely is a super great looking guitar.

That big amp head looks like a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Super nice Schecter. I'm sure that is a great guitar.

Was that you that bought that red DBZ guitar? I saw a post on that and it was an awesome guitar at a great sale price. I think it was you that posted it. I'm not sure if it looks as nice as your Schecter but it definitely is a super great looking guitar.

That big amp head looks like a lot of fun.
    Yes, the DBZ is mine as well. I'll get some pics up here soon. I may end up sending that one back, as there may be a low-cut nut or high fret. It's not worth it to me to have to fix that when it's a brand new guitar. I need to have somebody "professional" check it out for me. It is also a beauty, and Eric will be happy to hear that it's also red.
    -Sean