Thread: Extending Vocal Range Effectively & Safely???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extending Vocal Range Effectively & Safely???

I've been singing for over twenty-five years but....I'd like to extend my vocal range. Right now, I can hit a fairly high "A" full-voiced but....I'd like to do better.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I took some lessons recently and it seems like it's just a matter of using good technique and singing more, honestly. My range started to increase as I sang more, but I had pretty bad technique and couldn't get a very resonant tone until I started with the lessons. You might want to consider a couple of weeks of lessons -- there's a lot you can learn pretty quickly.

Good luck with it though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I took some lessons recently and it seems like it's just a matter of using good technique and singing more, honestly. My range started to increase as I sang more, but I had pretty bad technique and couldn't get a very resonant tone until I started with the lessons. You might want to consider a couple of weeks of lessons -- there's a lot you can learn pretty quickly.

Good luck with it though!

Thanks. Singing is a natural for me (I'm not boasting, by the way) but....I guess some lessons wouldn't hurt. Thanks, friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can't really stretch your natural range, but you can learn a completely different technique to do it. Trouble is, usually one cannot retain two different styles of singing intact for a long period of time.

I'm naturally a bass but singing metal and such for over two decades I've developed an entirely different way to do it and can get real high now and use up to two octaves. But my natural voice is nigh gone, can't go as low any more and it's kinda broken and hoarse when I sing low.

Most people know how to sing in falsetto, and the usual high going technique I use too is very similar to that, but kind of halfway falsetto where you sort of sing falsetto in the throat but back it up like normal and it becomes different. A bit dirty a sound and that's why it's a favorite of many metal and rock singers from acdc to iron maiden.

It can be found basically by sing ing falsetto quietly, keeping a note and while keeping it, try to change your breathing and lower vocal production into normal and loud. At first it probably causes adolescent sounding yelps- that Also happens when you tire also later on - and it may hurt after a while as it is kind of a destructive way of singing- but once you figure it out and use it much, it gets easier and you can do it actually with less fatigue than normal singing. And the more you use it the more you extend your range.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWpWmQbwa8&sns=em

Check this latest cover of mine for instance...no way I could do that with my normal singing voice.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.