Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New amp coming....

Thread: New amp coming....

Post Thanks / Like

Default New amp coming....

Just bought a used Mojave Coyote head in "as new" condition from a guy in Ventura, CA through Craigslist. I've been fascinated by this little 12W amp since reading about its unique design in Dave Hunter's Guitar Amplifier Handbook, and then checking out the audio & video clips on the Mojave Ampworks product page. Just closed the deal Wednesday, so prolly won't receive it until late next week. Very excited about it--these puppies are hard to find! This is the amp that Eric Johnson called "the best sounding modern amp I have ever played."

The preamp design of the Coyote is quite unusual. As stated in the Hunter book:

"The 12AX7 tubes in the dual first gain stages have both of their triodes wired in parallel. Rather than increasing the gain, as with triodes in series, this wiring yields a higher frequency-to-noise ratio, setting the stage for a full-frequencied yet low-noise performance from the preamp."

The outputs of these two preamp tubes feed separate Treble and Bass volume controls, voiced as such through different coupling capacitors. You can then blend the two volume controls to give a brighter or fatter sounding output as desired. Very cool & unique design! V3 is another 12AX7, used as a long-tailed pair phase inverter. The amp also uses a PT, OT and choke from Mercury Magnetics--top quality iron! And a "Power Dampening" control allows you to adjust the output volume to reasonable levels while still maintaining high gain. I understand that it's not a master volume control, a built in attenuator, or a VVR circuit, but appparently works quite effectively, whatever it is.

A few pix from the Mojave site:

Last edited by duhvoodooman; July 28th, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks swellegant! Nice catch...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a relatively simple circuit. Is there an amph it is based on?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!!! So, what bites the dust to make room for the Coyote?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Looks like a relatively simple circuit. Is there an amph it is based on?
    None, that I'm aware of, at least nothing that's well known. The Coyote's parallel preamp gain stages and the separate treble and bass volume controls are unique, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Sweet!!! So, what bites the dust to make room for the Coyote?
    Haven't decided; maybe nothing. I don't really have the same "one in, one out" agreement with my wife on amps like I do with guitars.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=
    Haven't decided; maybe nothing. I don't really have the same "one in, one out" agreement with my wife on amps like I do with guitars.[/QUOTE]

: So... it's an open marriage as far as amps go?!?! How did you work that one?!

Post Thanks / Like

Very neat this circuit board The same one with a cool vibrato (or Tremolo) and I'll be in love
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    Very neat this circuit board The same one with a cool vibrato (or Tremolo) and I'll be in love
    That's easily taken care of!

http://buildyourownclone.com/effects...usvibrato.html

http://buildyourownclone.com/effects...n/tremolo.html

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

The amp arrived on Friday, after its long cross-country FedEx Ground journey.

Naturally, I had to "pop the hood" and get a good look inside. Impressive!! The build quality is second to none. I'm sure the relative simplicity of the circuit is a big part of it, but the photos below amply show what I mean. Such a clean & elegant layout and stunning workmanship!

Best of all, it sounds freakin' awesome! Blending the two volumes gives you tremendous control over the character of the output. Keep the bass volume low to avoid muddiness with hot pickups, or goose it up for plenty of low-end thump with single coils. The power dampening control, however it actually works, is very effective and really doesn't change the output tone much until it's cranked way down. You can get everything from sparkly cleans to Plexi-like crunch out of this amp, all at very reasonable output volumes. I've only played the amp for a couple of hours at this point, so I'm quite sure I haven't nearly opened up all of its secrets yet.

Photos galore:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mmmmm, that is a tasty amph!

Thanks for the unneeded GAS.