Thread: Best Microphone for recording Acoustic Guitar? Inexpensive alternatives?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Best Microphone for recording Acoustic Guitar? Inexpensive alternatives?

Looking into buying more professional equipment for my recordings, I currently use a USB powered condenser microphone I picked up for under $100. It works okay but I would like to get more studio quality recordings for my music and videos. Any recommendations for a nice setup that's not too expensive?

Here is an example of my recordings at the moment.

Last edited by LanceGMusic; September 24th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Studio Projects B1 is awesome.

http://amzn.to/1BytIhm

Priced at about $120, you get a lot of value for the money.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ill def check that out =) I have heard about using two pen mics pointed at the guitar at different spots with good sound, and have seen good videos. But it requires an interface and such which will add on to the total cost. I may just have to invest more sadly, but hopefully with good results. Any input on if this setup is any good for recording solo guitar pieces?

Post Thanks / Like

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, using a cheap Zoom H1 can yield surprisingly good results! I love that little toy, it's tiny but sound very nice.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I use for years a T Bone SCT-2000 (bought on Thomann Webstore )and I'm very satisfied with it. It's a large diaphragm tube mike and produce quite a warm sound with good definition
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface