Thread: Equally temepered tuning - it works....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Equally temepered tuning - it works....

Yesterday I had a "Blitz" experience. I had a few issues with the intonation of my Les Paul also after setting up the guitar perfectly. My thoughts were like buy an Earvana saddle and so on, but my fear was that my guitar is gonna lose its sound due to the change. Not to speak of the Buzz Feiten operation...

The last two days I took some time to analyze the problem. Guitarists tend to love it when one chord sounds great. You often witness that a guitarist on stage / session pulls a Gmajor Chord and tunes the guitar so that it sound correct. It satisfies for the moment, but we all know that the other chords sound so and so then and the overall neck intonation is so and so, too.

The "Blitz" came when I saw an Eric Johnson insruction video on YouTube. He says that he adopted the way of tuning his guitar from a piano tuner. He starts in the middle which is our G-string and equally tempers out what sounds best. The result is that the guitar is slightly flat on some chords, but still in a way that is acceptable to our ear ( please bear in mind that this also depends on how trained your hearing is).

Unfortunately, he only explains it in short terms, but I understood what he wanted to say. I checked Google and called my guitar builder, who always tells me that I have to accept that a stringed instrument can not be tuned porperly over the complete neck, unless it has 36 frets in the same measure we usually have our 12 frets.

I gave it a try and tuned after the equally tempered tuning method. I can accept that what I am hearing better. The overall feel is more negotiable and I feel like I do not have to make any adjustment on my guitar.

Here is how I tuned my guitar:

Play the flageolett above the 5th fret of the low E string.
    Tune the high e string so that both are in tune.

Play the flageolett above the 12th fret of the low E string
    Play the 2nd fret of the d string and tune the d string accordingly so that both sound equal.

Play the flageolett above the 12th fret of the d string.
    Play the 3rd fret of the b string and tune the b string accordingly.

Play the flageolett above the 12th fret of the g string.
    Play the 3rd fret of the e string and tune the g string accordingly.

Finally play the flageollet above the 12th fret of the A string.
    Play the 2nd fret of the g string and tune the A string accordingly.

I guess this is no a big news to most of you, but I felt like sharing my new experience.

Jimi

Post Thanks / Like

What is a flageolett?

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Flageoletts are the harmonic tones about the 5th 7th and 12th fret.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Flageoletts are the harmonic tones about the 5th 7th and 12th fret.
    ohhhhhh.....i was thinking it was what i got after eating mexican food.....was gonna have a mexican lunch today so i could properly tune my guitar

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Play the 2nd fret of the d string and tune the d string accordingly so that both sound equal.

I understand all of that except using the flageolet above the 5th fret
    of the low E to tune the high e. Why not use the 12th fret flageolet?

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    ohhhhhh.....i was thinking it was what i got after eating mexican food.....was gonna have a mexican lunch today so i could properly tune my guitar

ww
    Well you might have to have a 5-course french meal because flageolet has several meanings:

From Wikipedia:

Cornucopia lists 37 varieties of Shell beans. The light green Flageolet bean is taken very seriously in France and soon the heirloom Chevrier will come under a controlled label reminiscent of the wine "Appellation d'Origine Controllée" called "Label Rouge". A number of other beans are already produced under this label.

Flageolet bean varieties include:

* Chevrier (the original heirloom)
    * Elsa
    * Flambeau
    * Flamingo

But my favorite meaning is:

A flageolet is a woodwind musical instrument and a member of the fipple flute family. The first flageolets were made in the 16th Century and the instrument continued to be made until the 20th Century when it was succeeded by the tin whistle.

Because I've never heard of the fipple flute family. Sounds like a goofy sitcom.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; January 3rd, 2007 at 08:26 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, to be honest, I can not tell you why 5th and not 12th.

Just try it - if it works for you it is okay - nobody holds you from trying this with 12th instead of 5th...

By the way, the word flageolet tone derives from the physics. It means that only a part of the vibration of the whole tone can be heard, often compared to the sound of a bell...blablablablabla...blablablabla

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Here is how I tuned my guitar:

Jimi
    Jimi, did you use a tuner or tune by ear?
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I tuned the low E string with a tuner and did the rest by ear.

Post Thanks / Like

I tuned the low E string with a tuner and did the rest by ear.
    Cool! I haven't tried that method before. I know what I'm gonna be doing tonight
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5