Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NGD - Fender American Standard Strat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD - Fender American Standard Strat

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - Fender American Standard Strat

I got a nice deal on this guitar - our friend Rylan "bonused me up" with shirts, bags, guitar polish and what not. Quite the package. Then, when the guitar was scanned at the till, it popped up that I get a Fender bar stool with it too! How sweet! This bar stool is awesome.

This is an American Standard Stratocaster.

So the guitar has CS Fat 50s pickups, and they sound great. The guitar has a fatter tone than my Suhr, which I loved a lot. However, I sold it because I started feeling that it sounded a bit thin. I think the bridge might have been an issue.

This new Fender stays in tune better than any Strat I've ever had, I'm quite amazed! It has the 2 point tremolo, and I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do.

The neck is wider than my Road Worn Strat, but still comfortable.

I think this is probably the best Fender Strat you can get for the money. It does sound a lot fatter and bigger than the Road Worn.

Click to enlarge:
    fenderamstrat-rr.jpg

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert - I've seen/heard you play this one in a few clips now - I have to say that i was very partial to the sound you got from the Road Worn strat, (which I thought was fuller than the Suhr) and I'm not sure that I'm convinced that this one sounds better.... Maybe we need a bit of a demo...! (tho I know you are a busy guy these days).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very busy with my lessons, and I don't have as much motivation these days to make demos... they don't help my business that much, so I focus on lessons instead.

But maybe I'll do a quick demo some day. I'll try.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome! HNGD
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I'm very busy with my lessons, and I don't have as much motivation these days to make demos... they don't help my business that much, so I focus on lessons instead.

But maybe I'll do a quick demo some day. I'll try.
    completely understandable - Fender should pay you to do one!

Post Thanks / Like

you sold the Suhr? wow. never thought I'd read that! I still haven't had a bonding experience with Strat as I have with other style's, but clearly I'm in the minority on that point. Great to hear that they're nailing it out of the box like this.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was surprised I liked it so much "out of the box".

I think Fender is making currently their best Standard Strats ever (in recent times, from 70s and onwards).

The only thing I don't like is that the bottom tone knob affects both middle and bridge pickup. I prefer it on the bridge only, but I can fix that.

Post Thanks / Like

So the guitar has CS Fat 50s pickups, and they sound great. The guitar has a fatter tone than my Suhr, which I loved a lot. However, I sold it because I started feeling that it sounded a bit thin. I think the bridge might have been an issue.
    Wow! I too am surprised that you sold the Suhr. Flabbergasted, almost. Of course, I hear you about thin sounding. Of course, I feel that almost any "vintage" style single coil is unbearably thin sounding unless you run it through a Tube Screamer or the like. The Lace Hot Gold in my '51 is about as close as I care to come, and that really only in the neck position. Then again, as a metalhead, that is to be expected.

I do have a soft spot in my heart for traditional Tele bridge pups though . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I love my '12 American Standard Strat, and agree with you 100% on how great the CS Fat '50s pickups sound. Mine holds tune very well, too. How is your trem set up? Do you let it float or adjust the spring tension so that the plate lies against the body, i.e. the trem bar will only drop the pitch?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine floating. And it stays in tune like fist in glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Robert!

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I've got a 97 Am. Std. In the house and I don't care for the neck. A bit shallow/thin. How would you describe the neck on this? Above you say wide...that to me means the nut/fretboard. Is that the case or do you mean deep? I like a meaty neck, although a '59 carve (in Gibson speak) isn't necessary, I like it. I ask because a similar guitar is available, but I can't get my mitts on it to check it out.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

This neck is not particularly thin. The Road Worn's neck is a bit thinner.

By wide, I mean it feels like the nut width is a bit wider, which it is as you can see below. I didn't know 0.8mm difference would be noticed much, but I can definitely tell. But it's hard to describe how it feels. I can say the Am Strat feels less thin, compared to the Road Worn Players. You should try them both.

Hope that helps.

Road Worn Player Strat:
    Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
    Number of Frets: 21
    Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    String Nut: Synthetic Bone
    Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)

Am Standard Strat:
    Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
    Number of Frets: 22
    Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
    String Nut: Synthetic Bone
    Nut Width: 1.685" (42.8 mm)

Post Thanks / Like

Great Axe Robert Congrats I heard lots of praise about those new models and the 60' special reissue
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the new Fenders are better than ever, it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

This neck is not particularly thin. The Road Worn's neck is a bit thinner.

Hope that helps.

It does, thanks.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; February 10th, 2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Fixed quote coding

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah the new Fenders are better than ever, it seems.
    This is good news. (Well, bad for my banking account!)
    I've been wanting a well made Strat but there are so many good choices. I'm thinking the 2014 Am Standard is the best quality for the dollar. It has everything I could ask for (except stainless frets on a compound radius fretboard -nice but not required by any means).

Post Thanks / Like

That would be an excellent choice, Tig.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations.

I very much like those Fat Fifties pickups. I have them in a strat and the sound is as the name suggests. I would recommend them anytime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast