Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Howdy

Thread: Howdy

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Howdy

After playing guitar for 30-some years I was involved in a lawn mower accident and whacked of the tips of my middle finger and my ring finger. At the time I had a Fender 12-string and sold it thinking my playing days were done. Then, in August, I went to shoot the wedding (I'm a photographer) of an old shipmate. We used to jam when we served together and he has a friend that we used to jam with as well. At the wedding rehearsal BBQ, he and his friend were doing a little playing around and his buddy asked me to play, pointing to a spare guitar. I told him about my mishap and he, in turn told me about Gorilla Tips. Long story short, the Tips enabled me to rebuild callouses where I thought it would be impossible to grow and I'm playing again... after 20+ years without playing. I've always had a spot in my heart for Gretsch as my parents bought me my first "real" guitar (1956 Gretsch Synchromatic) back in the 60's, a beautiful Gretsch archtop. It's probably worth a small fortune today, but alas, my priorities were drugs & booze so somewhere down the line it got sold to supply my "priorities". But, all's well that ends well. I'm a retired systems engineer, photographer (no, I don't shoot weddings anymore!) My guitarsenal is in my signature so I won't belabor that point but the G3500 and Fender are up for sale.

OK, I'm done.
    Hebrews 13:3

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Fweezal - good inspirational story on the ability to bounce back after a serious injury! Glad that you were able to persevere and get back onto the fretboard.

Post Thanks / Like

I resemble that comment! I lost the first three fingertips on my right hand due to a snowblower accident almost 14 years ago. Had to relearn how to hold a pick, etc. Now I'm pretty much as terrible as I always have been
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Fweezal - good inspirational story on the ability to bounce back after a serious injury! Glad that you were able to persevere and get back onto the fretboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I resemble that comment! I lost the first three fingertips on my right hand due to a snowblower accident almost 14 years ago. Had to relearn how to hold a pick, etc. Now I'm pretty much as terrible as I always have been
    Thanks for the welcome! I don't know if I quite consider a 20+ year layoff "bouncing back", but it's REALLY good to be playing again. It seems I'm much more "into it" now and really enjoy the time I have playing.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and thanks for that story!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Welcome and thanks for that story!
    You're very welcome. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that inspiring story. I know a couple of people who have had hand injuries and were pretty much sidelined. I will share your story with them. Good to know it's possible to get back even facing adverse circumstances.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Gary! I'm glad you're able to play again.
    I took a few decades off and returned to guitar about 5 years ago. I suck much less this time around!

From what I've seen your old 1956 Gretsch Synchromatic might run between $2000 and $5000, depending on condition and exact model. A few rare mid-50's Duo Jets, Silver Jets, and Chet Atkins can go between $8000 and $16,000. (sorry)
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Thanks for that inspiring story. I know a couple of people who have had hand injuries and were pretty much sidelined. I will share your story with them. Good to know it's possible to get back even facing adverse circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Welcome, Gary! I'm glad you're able to play again.
    I took a few decades off and returned to guitar about 5 years ago. I suck much less this time around!

From what I've seen your old 1956 Gretsch Synchromatic might run between $2000 and $5000, depending on condition and exact model. A few rare mid-50's Duo Jets, Silver Jets, and Chet Atkins can go between $8000 and $16,000. (sorry)
    Thanks, guys. I hope your friends don't just quit and chuck it in.

@Tig - I think it was a 6014... It looked EXACTLY like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fweezal View Post
    Thanks, guys. I hope your friends don't just quit and chuck it in.

@Tig - I think it was a 6014... It looked EXACTLY like this:

Ah, that drops the modern price to something a little more affordable (and a less painful loss in your case).
    I'd love to have one just like it.

I'm thinking of selling a kidney for a Gretsch with Dynasonics. I'll take it out in a direct trade if the condition is really nice!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Ah, that drops the modern price to something a little more affordable (and a less painful loss in your case).
    I'd love to have one just like it.

I'm thinking of selling a kidney for a Gretsch with Dynasonics. I'll take it out in a direct trade if the condition is really nice!
    I'm glad my home is paid for. I could take out a second mortgage if I found one.