Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New delay pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default New delay pedal

My Boss DD-6 keeps acting up (see my other thread on the subject) and so I am looking for another delay pedal. I mainly use it for adding some size to my soloing tone and to pretend to be reverb for clean stuff. I'm looking at a MXR Carbon Copy. I also looked at a Line 6 M5 that would have delays and reverb (and a bunch of other things) but complaints about build quality have scared me off a bit. I also looked at a Way Huge Aqua-Puss, but I wonder if 300ms delay would be enough (I don't use a _ton_ more, but still). I'd like to keep it relatively inexpensive (i.e. $150 or lower). Digital or analog, doesn't make much of a difference. This, of course, all depends on how good Santa is to me Thoughts?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Marnold !
    I've been using two Digitech delays for about 3 yrs. now. The first one is the old standard "X-series" hundred dollar model.
    The second is the Hardwire Digital Delay/Looper, closer to 160 bucks. I like them both, but if I had it to do over I'd just buy the X series. It does all I really need for live playing and home playing/recording. I have a Jamman looper so I don't use the Hardwire in loop mode much. There are lots of choices out there, I realize, but Digitech is what the nearest mom and pop type music store handles, and I like to buy/support local business unless it's crazy expensive or they can't get what I want.

So far both pedals have worked great. The X series is the one I had first. I think I've had it around 8 years. I've probably twiddled with it and stomped on it thousands of times, and it still works great.
    Hope you get one you like, whatever brand you buy.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really love my Carbon Copy delay. It always sounds so good no matter what I set it to do, from slap-back to atmospheric stuff and Gilmour like delays. It is a great best bang for your buck at $150.

Since I really like to play with delay more than any other effect, I'm looking at something else to expand the palette further. I'm looking at the TC Electronic Flashback Delay.
    The only other affordable delay that has my eye is the Red Witch Violetta Delay at $139.

Now if money were no issue, I'd be talking Strymon Brigadier or Timeline.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Oldguy,

I also pondered the Digitech ones, although I haven't looked at the X series in a while. I'll check them out too.

Tig,

Strymon makes some great stuff, but money is an issue and I don't think I'd use 1/100th of their capabilities. Heck, I don't use most of my DD-6's capabilities. There's something to be said about the simplicity of a Carbon Copy or the like. The TC Electronics Mini Flashback looks interesting too. I may have to research that one a bit. It's smaller and cheaper than the full sized version, but has the cool Toneprint stuff.

I should also add that the pedal will live in my JCA22H's effects loop.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,

I think any of those you mentioned would work. The Digitech has over 4 seconds of delay, although I can't imagine needing it. I like the dual outs if I'm running two amps. That's the one I mentioned because it's the one I have used. I previously had a Danelectro PB &J. I wouldn't recommend that unless you trust plastic cases and just need a slapback thing. I sold mine cheap when I bought the Digitech.

The Carbon Copy is analog, so it might be a better sounding delay, depending on how good your hearing is. I doubt I could hear the difference, but I'm 60 and have tinnitus.....they always seem to get good reviews, though. Some guys swear by analog if it's a delay pedal.

TC electronics have had a good reputation and gotten good reviews for years, that's about all I know about them. I doubt I'd use the toneprint feature, but that's just me.

I'll just throw this out there if you're on a budget....... a lot of people really seem to like the Modtone pedals. I have no experience with them.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my M9 all the time, and I love the sounds in it. I have never had any problems with it, so I would recommend the M5.

I also have a DD-20 that sounds really good. I should sell it - I can't fit it on my pedalboard and I use the M9, so... If you ever see a used DD-20 for a good price, it's a really good delay pedal. The modulated delay is gorgeous.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I use my M9 all the time, and I love the sounds in it. I have never had any problems with it, so I would recommend the M5.

I also have a DD-20 that sounds really good. I should sell it - I can't fit it on my pedalboard and I use the M9, so... If you ever see a used DD-20 for a good price, it's a really good delay pedal. The modulated delay is gorgeous.
    An M5 would be an ideal solution because I could also use it for effects that I wouldn't use much, like Uni-Vibe or flanger (as well as the aforementioned reverb). I'm not really thrilled at how my EX-7's flanger sounds in the effects loop. I thought it might be because most Soldano amps have an effects loop that assumes rack gear, but the JCA22H doesn't. Any pedal should work.

It's hard to know how much to trust sites/reviews that talk about build quality. It shouldn't be a big issue for me because it will probably never leave my office. Of course, Brad Paisley tours with an M13 (and a ton of other pedals) so . . .

What do you primarily use the M9 for? Time-based stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

I use my M9 for delay mostly, but sometimes in our cover band, I need some chorus, reverb, of even wacky synth sounds, and the M9 can handle that easily. The reverbs and choruses are quite good.

I sometimes use phaser or tremolo as well, in the band. The vibrato effect is also pretty cool for certain situations.

I find the Screamer sounds really, really good into a tube amp. And for those 80s heavy metal songs, I have that kind of distortion in the M9.

Secret tip: try the Tube or Tape echos - I find both of them add a really pleasing sounding tone, when you have gain before them. They definitely color the tone a lot, but I really like the way they do just that. One of them is my favorite, but I can never remember which is which... I have it written down on my phone somewhere.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but the first thought I had when I read your initial post was a Line 6 Echo Park. It's a dumbed-down DL4 that is cheaper and smaller, but it still has a lot of relevant features and can do a ton of different things.

In the world of digital delay stompboxes, that would be my first choice if I was shopping for one. Not sure how much they are new, but used I think they go for $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Used M5s are around $150 on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    Hi, Marnold !
    I've been using two Digitech delays for about 3 yrs. now. The first one is the old standard "X-series" hundred dollar model.
    The second is the Hardwire Digital Delay/Looper, closer to 160 bucks. I like them both, but if I had it to do over I'd just buy the X series. It does all I really need for live playing and home playing/recording. I have a Jamman looper so I don't use the Hardwire in loop mode much. There are lots of choices out there, I realize, but Digitech is what the nearest mom and pop type music store handles, and I like to buy/support local business unless it's crazy expensive or they can't get what I want.

So far both pedals have worked great. The X series is the one I had first. I think I've had it around 8 years. I've probably twiddled with it and stomped on it thousands of times, and it still works great.
    Hope you get one you like, whatever brand you buy.
    Hey!! Glenn! Great to hear from you!!

Re: the delay pedals, I have really enjoyed my MXR Carbon Copy in terms of sound, but i use it more either as a slap back, or when messing around with long trip sounds. It does not, obviously, have the tap tempo option, and I am no delay expert. but to the extent it helps for me to confirm that it has a really nice sound.

EDIT: I also have a M9, though I have not messed with the delays much. I need to get creative like Tig and some of the others and play with it more. Especially with the tap tempo thing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Used M5s are around $150 on ebay.
    They dropped the price on them. MF has them for $130.

Leaning heavily toward the Carbon Copy though. I reserve the right to change my mind.

My delay has started changing delay modes while I'm playing. Feature. Or it's possessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    They dropped the price on them. MF has them for $130.

Leaning heavily toward the Carbon Copy though. I reserve the right to change my mind.

My delay has started changing delay modes while I'm playing. Feature. Or it's possessed.
    A M5 would be cool too. I use the M9 mostly for reverb right now, but it's sounds are pretty good. I really should use it more for some other things. Maybe not AS organic and natural sounding as the Carbon Copy I would guess, but more features too. Either way will be good!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

This one is nice too!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Very interesting. I wonder how long that price will be good . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Hmm. Very interesting. I wonder how long that price will be good . . .
    I'm guessing thru cyber Monday.
    I broke down and ordered one yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

He who hesitates is lost. It's already out of stock. I'll have to keep an eye on the site to see if it comes back.

Post Thanks / Like

So now what? M5? Carbon Copy?

Perhaps the Joyo delay for $29.03?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast