Thread: Studio Monitor Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Default Studio Monitor Cables

I have a pair of Mackie MR 5 studio monitors. One of the speakers cuts out from time to time. I have adjust the plug pull in out and put it back in again. I'm using guitar cables to connect them to my computer. Is that a BIG no-no. Should I be using speaker cable??? Input greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick View Post
    I have a pair of Mackie MR 5 studio monitors. One of the speakers cuts out from time to time. I have adjust the plug pull in out and put it back in again. I'm using guitar cables to connect them to my computer. Is that a BIG no-no. Should I be using speaker cable??? Input greatly appreciated.

As I understand it, you should use unshielded speaker cables for speakers. Guitar cables are a no-no.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

OK then....Thanks for setting straight oldguy.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Big NO-NO!

Get some balanced cables for your monitors.

http://www.homemusicstudio1.com/bala...lanced-cables/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Big NO-NO!

Get some balanced cables for your monitors.

http://www.homemusicstudio1.com/bala...lanced-cables/
    Man I'm a bit confused now Robert. Oldguy says unshielded cables and you say balanced cables. Are they altogether different or will they both work equally well???

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Read that article I posted.

From the manual of your Mackie MR-5 monitors:

There are three types of input connectors: XLR (balanced), 1/4-inch (balanced), and RCA (unbalanced). Since all three of them are connected together electrically, do not connect more than one signal at a time to the input jacks.
    • The XLR connector and 1/4-inch TRS (tip-sleeve-ring) connector accept a balanced signal while the RCA connector accepts an unbalanced signal. A balanced signal provides better noise rejection and is the preferred method, especially if using a cable longer than 20 feet (6 meters).
    • The 1/4-inch TRS jack can also accept an unbalanced signal from a 1/4-inch TS (tip-sleeve) plug.
    Unbalanced cables for your monitors will be more prone to noise.

Shielding is not quite the same thing.

Here is a good explanation for guitar cables vs speaker cables: http://www.fender.com/news/why-instr...terchangeable/
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Robert...BIG help!!!