Thread: voltage regulator/power conditioner...somebody help me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default voltage regulator/power conditioner...somebody help me.

I've concluded that most of the amp problems and pedal problems that seem to plaque me at home are more related to the 110 year old buildings fabric wrapped wiring and screw in fuses than the gear itself. I just had a buddy tell me about issues he was having with a brand new Mesa MarkV in his rehearsal space. got it home (new construction) NO issues, back to the space, back to the problems. Turns out its the voltage at the studio.

So what is a simple reliable solution? Is this enough? Is this marketing? Would a standard outlet strip cut it? I usually use one, but just a garden variety belkin unit or similar.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS6Block
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never plug my amp or pedals into a outlet strip. I learned my lesson. I have a Furman pedal board, that includes a conditioned power supply. I have great wiring in the house and plug directly into the wall. My pedals all work off the board, and absolutely no hum! I did have an issue a couple of years ago, and I was getting an awful hum.
    I tore my board apart and could not find it. I went to unplug my board and try another outlet in a different part of the house, and I saw my board was plugged into a power strip. The only other person in the house was my wife. She had decided to clean behind the couch in my guitar room, and had to unplug the board from the wall. She saw a power bar that I use for my stereo equipment, and plugged it back into that bar. I plugged it back into the wall and all was good again! She promised to not touch my guitar stuff ever again.
    I really do believe that Furman really "gets it" when it comes to power conditioning. I think this is a subject with not a lot of information. There are a ton of guys who just put up with the hum for no reason.
    I don't know if it will make a big difference if you feel your house wiring is suspect, but it won't add to it like a power bar will!
    OH and I have the Furman SPB8 board. I think I got it from GC for about 200 bucks. You might want to look into that before you spend the 40 bucks on a power supply.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Z. I'm ok with my little board as far as pedal layout. Are you saying you think the Furman strip I show WOULD likely address the issue?

I've seen the Furman boards, they are impressive. But are you saying that even with the Furman board, you had problems off a strip, or that was before you got the Furman.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned your home wiring could be an issue. If you are having issues with the units just plugged into the wall, you may be able to reduce the hum using the Furman Strip. I like the Furman board because it reduces the number of wall warts you require due to the internal plugs that come with it. If the pedal has a non standard specific wall wart then it also has separate conditioned plugs ins for those.
    It was kind of a tongue in cheek remark that my wife had caused me a whole day of misery because she unplugged my board from the wall and used a power strip.
    I would recommend you try the Furman strip. It has all of the hum cancelling technical enhancements of the board. I also have only the best hum cancelling cables and
    I use only Fulltone pedals due to their true bypass and bullet proof electronics. I am somewhat anal about hum, and I have pretty well eliminated most of it.
    I hope this helps. Good quality cables do help as well.
    sorry about delay but I gave a house full of guests for the hoidays.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    sorry about delay but I gave a house full of guests for the hoidays.
    well if you intend to share info on a thread with ME, you better damn well sit at your keyboard and wait for my musings. This 19 hour delay with information is not gonna cut it. I mean, how many christmas' have you had? Isn't getting a bit old at this point? Surely you can find something to do online while you wait for my reply. Jeez man.

And thanks for the info. Now you've got me looking at changing my whole board.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you go to a full board, take a look at this one,
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M8x2
    It seems to have all of the hum cancelling features that my pedal board has
    The Blues is alright!