Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Need 12" cab suggestions

Thread: Need 12" cab suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need 12" cab suggestions

Might need a 12" speaker cab. Prefer 8 ohms and weight under 35 lbs.

Was thinking of this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SupChampX2SC How would this be?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, considering having a cab made and would then want speakers recommendations. Initially, thinking of an Eminence 12" Texas Heat speaker.

Music style is slide blues and blues/rock, not high gain and primarily with a lap steel and sometimes slide guitar.

Thanks so much for any and all advice.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Mesa Boogie Wide Body Cab that I really love. It's one of the best cabs I've ever had. Perfect size, with a lot of bottom end.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Jet City JCA112. Very light and sounds great with either my Peavey VK Head or the Jet City 22H I had.

Post Thanks / Like

I had that jet city cab. My Mesa cab sounds much much better.

Sent from my Macintosh telephone using Tapatalk
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I had that jet city cab. My Mesa cab sounds much much better.
    Geez, I hope so--the Mesa costs twice as much or more!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

It was certainly worth it to me, DVM. I have learned the hard way that the speaker cab is so important. I've had my share of wimpy sounding cabs. The thing is, you're not getting what you could from your amp with a cab that doesn't match it. For example, I have a Suhr Badger 18 and I wasn't happy with the tone with the previous cab. I thought about selling the amp. Glad I didn't! The Mesa Cab solved the problem for me, and I got used locally for dirt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert does make a good point with getting a "quality" cab if one can afford it. That goes for any GAS purchase.

I'm leaning towards this:

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php...roproextension

30 lbs....Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker.....good solid construction.

If I don't go with that I would then look at this cab and then decide on a speaker.

http://avatarspeakers.com/home/produ...ditional-cube/

Post Thanks / Like

I was merely pointing out that the Mesa would be expected to sound better, given the large price differential. Not saying it isn't worth it!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I know that Vood......the point of diminishing returns and all of that. Truth be told, if price was to be the main determiner, I was recently pointed in this direction: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/112E

Recommended by more than a few people; and if and when I finally make a determination, I may yet go this route.

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine, with the Mesa thiele specs. Sounds awesome. Check here.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty nice job on the cab Monkus. Unfortunately, neither I or my family/friends have that kind of woodworking ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just offered the following from a member on another Forum.........."Have a closed back pine cabinet in near perfect condition loaded with an Eminence 'Cannabis Rex' speaker, measures 16"Hx16"Wx12"D, weight around 20#. Covering is black tolex with black corners and a chrome metal grill(which could be replaced with grillcloth if you prefer, but always liked the protection that it afforded the speaker)..Price is $250.00 plus 1/2 actual shipping costs."

Have to ask for pics, ohms. Any thoughts from the guys/gals here?

Post Thanks / Like

I know nothing about cabs, but it sounds pretty sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Was just offered the following from a member on another Forum.........."Have a closed back pine cabinet in near perfect condition loaded with an Eminence 'Cannabis Rex' speaker, measures 16"Hx16"Wx12"D, weight around 20#. Covering is black tolex with black corners and a chrome metal grill(which could be replaced with grillcloth if you prefer, but always liked the protection that it afforded the speaker)..Price is $250.00 plus 1/2 actual shipping costs."

Have to ask for pics, ohms. Any thoughts from the guys/gals here?
    That sounds like a good deal depending on the cabinet. The Cannabis Rex is a warm speaker great for moderate to medium gain bluesy playing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find one a VHT/Freyette Fat Bottom 2X12 great sounding Cab fits in the truck of my Toyota Camry Hybrid.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin