Thread: Need to get a cheapo PC. Advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Need to get a cheapo PC. Advice?

Laptop might be nice, but could be desktop. I do not want or need touch screen. I just need to run a few programs that are basically specialized spreadsheets for legal stuff, and a proprietary video player that some police units use. 1. EZ filing bankruptcy software, into which you put financial info, do a bit of number crunching, and produce electronic forms for filing and PDF for printing. 2. Child support software. Almost the same time of thing, though no e-filing involved. Oh, and maybe to run Quickbooks pro. Last, a program (iCops) that plays dvd's (so I do need a DVD slot) of arrests.

In the past, I used an outsourced paralegal that used her own machine. But that time has passed and it is coming in house. I have Parallels, but it is kind of a pain in the *** with some of these programs written by small companies, and to update every time the Apple OS is updated is costly, and a couple times pays for a standalone PC that does not require me to clog up my mac with Parallels and windows.

I DO NOT need to play any music, record anything, edit anything, etc. I could just call one of the local techs and get whatever they have built up used. Or order something from Amazon or Newegg.

Thoughts?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Basic yet modern enough to last, eh?
    There are plenty in the mid $200 to upper $300's.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_pr...price-asc-rank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Decent Lenovo laptops under $400:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=2528832011

4. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks. Something like that could work. I may go with this though. I can pick up a used monitor for cheap, and there are keyboards laying around I can use too. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834258595

these are the type of system requirements I am dealing with.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    1.0 GB of RAM
    Windows 7/Vista/XP
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or higher
    1.5 GB of available hard-disk space
    Any Windows-compatible printer
    Adobe Reader (free download) for viewing pdf files generated by the EZ-Filing software
    ELECTRONIC FILING SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Your computer should have the following for electronic case filing:

A direct internet connection
    A 17-inch monitor with 1024x768 resolution or higher
    Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher to use the automatic upload feature (this is a court requirement only for those districts that allow automatic upload)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any recent PC or laptop will easily handle those requirements. The newegg laptop you posted would do nicely and at a great price.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep looking. There are tons of good deals out there. For $3-400 you can get a larger screen, more ram (at least 8GB), and a 500GB hard drive. Asus, Acer and HP are the deals I often see that look good. But for the price it's not a bad one that you found. Be sure to get the Square Trade warranty. It has come in useful for us with refurb units.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.