Thread: My son an I cover a James Bay song

Post Thanks / Like

Default My son an I cover a James Bay song

My 12-year old son sings "Hold back the river" and I try to strum some guitar ;-)
    Don't be to harsh with your judgement :-)

http://youtu.be/lkNt8INhYzY
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Bravo - that was beautiful! I wouldn't expect any harsh reviews! Louis has a beautiful voice and really knows how to use it, which is just as important. I assume that he must have learned to sing like that from his dad?! And just lovely that it's the two of you performing together.

BTW - your English is amazing, Jimi, but Louis sounds absolutely like a native speaker - too cool! Keep it up you guys!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for your great feedback! You know it's been a long time since we made music together for the last time. Louis is singing in a band and in a church choir so our "let's jam together" moments became rare recently :-(
    Indeed he can controle his voice pretty fine and I hope he will not lose motivation - 12 is a difficult age, we all know :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sehr gut! (or should it be "viel gutes"?)

Wow, what a beautiful voice your son has. I can see (hear) he has a singing future if he so desires.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks my friend! Sehr gut is absolutely correct :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Normally when someone posts a "hear my child sing" video, my eyes almost immediately start to roll. In this case, I definitely make an exception. You can tell that your son has been in a choir because he has good command of his voice, especially for a 12 year old. Keep encouraging him. As was said before his English is excellent as well. He really seems to have the Sprachgefuehl, if I can mix languages like that
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Normally when someone posts a "hear my child sing" video, my eyes almost immediately start to roll. In this case, I definitely make an exception. You can tell that your son has been in a choir because he has good command of his voice, especially for a 12 year old. Keep encouraging him. As was said before his English is excellent as well. He really seems to have the Sprachgefuehl, if I can mix languages like that
    Nah, I know exactly what you mean...those parents who push their kids and make them little adults :-(
    My kids can chose their paths on their own. There's always music around in our home and this was a Sunday afternoon jam before we went to have dinner. I have uploaded this to YouTube because my son wanted to show it to some friends.

Post Thanks / Like

great job
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

What a great moment. Gotta cherish those. My son and I had some fine moments playing guitar together, just not enough. Now he's off making his way in life teaching in the UK. I wish we had seized more chances to play together. Hope you grab every one you can get.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful cover Jimi, Louis has a great and clear voice and possess a good timing which is quite essential for a singer, your harmonies are sounding sweet and Nothing is better that enjoying playing music together

Hats off to both of you Es ist toll !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That was great! It is always so special to be able to create music with your kids. I have a some videos with my daughter on youtube, but no singing... your son has a great sense for time and pitch. He's gonna be an awesome musician!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    That was great! It is always so special to be able to create music with your kids. I have a some videos with my daughter on youtube, but no singing... your son has a great sense for time and pitch. He's gonna be an awesome musician!
    Thanks a lot for the compliment. I sometimes ask him to sing a line when I check a new idea for the band. You know, puberty makes these moments rare but he's surely gonna stay true to the music....can't stop singing, this little fellow :-)