Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why didn't I think of this?

Thread: Why didn't I think of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Why didn't I think of this?

Two new items from Stew-Mac that make me scratch my head and say "Why didn't
    I think of that?"

First....

Trem-Arm Tension Spring - $5
    This looks like it would be incredibly easy to make yourself. I may try it, but
    it's so cheap that I may not.
    http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...on_Spring.html

Next....
    Pickup Clearance Gauges - $10
    This is also easy to make and I know the brass rods are readily available on Ebay.....still
    it's only $10 bucks...

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ce_Gauges.html

They have dozens of easy-to-make, cheap tools that you can make yourself.... http://www.stewmac.com

LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of people sticking the spring from a ball point pen into the trem arm hole to accomplish much the same thing.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to be a dope - but what does that spring do? Doesn't look like the trem arm threads would fit through the spring, so...??
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Hate to be a dope - but what does that spring do? Doesn't look like the trem arm threads would fit through the spring, so...??
    I think (mind you, I've never had a Strat-style trem, only Floyds) that it pushes the arm against the threads in the hole so that the bar doesn't flop all over the place.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

5. Likes Perfect Stranger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duh - maybe if I had clicked on the link... Yes, the spring drops into the threaded hole (on top of a ball bearing so it doesn't bind) then the trem bar compresses the spring as you screw it in/down, so that it's tight. That IS a good idea!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

super idea! works great for me