Thread: Mixolydian Time!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mixolydian Time!

Yeah baby.

Here's a comment I added to the video, regarding the method of just playing a major scale, starting from the 5th scale degree above the 7 chord. I don't like that approach.
    Yeah all modes can be understood in that manner. However, it's necessary to "see it" as its own entity, because the chord tones change for each mode. I recommend learning the formula of each mode inside out, so you don't have to resort to the method of "I'll just play the major scale X scale degrees from here..." because that will become awkward and difficult when you play jazz or songs with many chords. It's all about chord tones for me, and IF I base everything from a major scale pattern, I'll end up playing lines that fit the major chord, but not the mode in question. I have never found the idea of modes just "being a major scale played from a certain scale degree" useful in practice. It's fine for understanding the concept, but I urge all students to learn the sound and formula of each mode separately. That will be most useful in the long run.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great lesson Robert well demonstrated, maybe one thing that I would add would be you playing on a loop of A7 chord alternating between the A minor pentatonic and A mixolydian mode
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome lesson and a really great lick!
    Robert, it would be helpful to show which chords are in the scale, this was always the first thing I asked my guitar teacher.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Jimi, that would be any chord from the key of D - is that what you mean?

Dmaj7 Emin7 F#min7 Gmaj7 A7 Bmin7 C#m7b5

That may be a lot of info for a lesson like this.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rob, yeah that's what I meant. It was just a general remark, I personally know the chords of course but remember that I always missed more musical input. My first experience with modes was a VHS tape by Vinnie Moore and I misliked the fact that ha jammed over a pedal tone, only. If someone's interested in composing a song in a certain mode it's important to know the chords and to know which are the strong and the weak chords and notes in a mode. But that is too much to put in such a lesson - your lesson is great and I will steal this lick anyways, hahaha :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jimi, steal away!