Thread: Lesson Using Diminished Sounds (& Melodic Minor) On The Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lesson Using Diminished Sounds (& Melodic Minor) On The Blues

Here's a video lesson on the topic of spicing up your blues phrasing by bringing in some diminished and altered (melodic minor) sounds.
    You'll often hear this kind of approach used by horn players and guitarists such as Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and Scott Henderson.

Rob Garland

TrueFire Classroom Guitar Babylon & Workshops
    Latest Course The Guitarist's Pentathlon

Web-Social Media-Newsletter
    http://www.robgarland.net

TrueFire Instructor - Mesa Boogie Artist - D'Addario Strings - Super Blacks Picks by Hell Guitars

2. Likes Tig***, Jipes*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great lesson Rob! I always liked that diminished approach in the Blues and make use of it very often - most poeple think of Malmsteen's neoclassical style when hearing diminished and harmonic minor......Anyways, I think it is utmost important to get a feel for this "strange" sound, which means that in the beginning when you apply it it will sound a little bit like playing scales, but you have to hang in there until it flows naturally :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Great lesson Rob! I always liked that diminished approach in the Blues and make use of it very often - most poeple think of Malmsteen's neoclassical style when hearing diminished and harmonic minor......Anyways, I think it is utmost important to get a feel for this "strange" sound, which means that in the beginning when you apply it it will sound a little bit like playing scales, but you have to hang in there until it flows naturally :-)
    Thanks! And yes I completely agree, with any new sound you have to spend a lot of time getting the physical fingering part down but more importantly you have to work on really hearing that sound in a musical context. As you said, it's only when you start to really hear it that you can use it in an organic musical way.

Aside from the neo-classical use the revelation for me was when I realized the relationship between a dominant chord and a diminished arpeggio - that really opened things up.

It's great that you use the diminshed sound on the blues.
    Rob Garland

TrueFire Classroom Guitar Babylon & Workshops
    Latest Course The Guitarist's Pentathlon

Web-Social Media-Newsletter
    http://www.robgarland.net

TrueFire Instructor - Mesa Boogie Artist - D'Addario Strings - Super Blacks Picks by Hell Guitars