Thread: Telecaster Sound Change

Post Thanks / Like

Question Telecaster Sound Change

Thinking about changing the sound of my tele by installing either a GFS Mean or Dream 90 in the neck position (to replace a quite dark humbucker) the end result is to gain a little more high end. Have not played many instruments with P-90's installed so I am not sure if I will like the result

and a little more bite in the bridge with a GFS Fatbody Overwound Alnico or Lil Hot Puncher?

Have read nothing but good comments on GuitarFetish products on this forum so I have the bug to check out their pickups.....

comments/recommendations appreciated.....
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Big K, everyone loves P90´s
    Its somewhere in between a single coil and a humbucker.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I played a Squier Custom II w/ P90s and thought it had a pretty cool sound - cool enough that I'm GASing for one now, but might have to wait Priorities.

Guitar Fetish is great to deal with, and their products offer a lot of bang for the buck. I say pick up a 'bucker and a P90 and see what works for you

I'm looking at dropping a GFS Crunchy PAF in the bridge position of Ol' Hartley and splitting it to capture a more tele-like sound.

Keep us posted!

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

me thinks the credit card is going to get some use this afternoon

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

got rid of some GAS with an order to G-Fetish...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Big K, did you wind up putting a GFS p90 in the neck of your tele?

I've been planning on doing the same thing with my Squier Fat Tele and would love to hear what you think about how it sounds.
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

ended up with a GFS PAF clone in the Tele then received an offer I couldn't refuse so its down the road... couldn't decide whether to go with the Dream or Mean, so wired the humbucker with a coil cut switch and it turned out pretty nice... am about to order a Dream 90 for the neck of my Dean to brighten it up, i have a GFS 10k neck bucker in it currently and it is a little too hot (muddy) and a bit dark for me....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for the update, Big K! I'm planning on ordering a bunch of GFS pickups one of these days, and definitely am going to replace the pickups in my tele....I'm leaning towards a p90 for its neck, not sure to go "Mean" or "dream" though.

I bought a Dean Vendetta a few months ago on ebay, with Dimarzios already in it. The Air Norton in the neck sounds awesome...its not a pickup I had considered checking out, but I'm real happy with it. Its pretty hot, but not too muddy or dark sounding for me (I play it through my marshall a lot, when I'm in the mood to play heavier-type, more metallic stuff...its perfect for that).
    Electrics: Epiphone Les Paul Standard (w/S.D. pups - JB-4/bridge, SH-'59 neck), Fender Fat Strat (Mexican), Squier Fat Tele, Squier '51, Agile Valkyrie III, Ibanez Artcore AF75, Washburn OS OE30 Delta King, Dean Vendetta XM (w/ Dimarzios, D-Sonic/bridge, Air Norton/neck), Silvertone archtop (late 60s/early 70s), Titan EG-1 strat, Gibson G-3 bass, Fullerton strat

Acoustics: Sigma DM-5 (Japanese), Silvertone archtop (early 50s), Yamaha FG-110 (Korean), Alvarez RD20 12 string, Silvertone (60s)

Amps: Alamo Capri (early 60s tube), Alamo Challenger (late 60s tube) Epiphone Valve Jr. Head (w/Peavey 1x10 cab & Realistic 2x6 cab), Fender Yale Reverb, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Marshall Lead 12, Behringer G110 V-Tone, Marshall MG15CD, Vox DA-5, Pignose 7-100, Marshall Bass 12

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a Seymour Duncan "Broadcaster" Bridge pu for tele yesterday. I hope to tell you guys about how much the tone changed soon.

Post Thanks / Like

couldn't stand not having a Tele, so I purchased another clone from Rondo, its only a matter of time before I start changing stuff in it and it hasn't even been delivered yet...this place is a GAS paradise!
    Last edited by Big K; December 9th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah one of the new STL50's just the thing to mod

Post Thanks / Like

received a nice one...straight neck, no sprout, flake paint, nice figure in the maple...not to sure about the pickups.. need a little more jangle...

just needed some power thru the amp to make the pickups come alive..... mucho satisfied
    Last edited by Big K; December 9th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.