Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
12" speaker for blues

Thread: 12" speaker for blues

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12" speaker for blues

Thinking of getting an Avatar 12" cab and was wondering what speaker to get. Sort of narrowed it down to 4. The Eminence Governor, Private Jack, Wizard or Swamp Thing.

Anybody have experience with any of these speakers and can advise? Will be used for Bluesy stuff, mostly lap slide...so nothing High Gainy or Metal.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd include the Cannabis Rex (very well balanced, with a smooth top end) in that group and drop the Wizard (quite bright & aggressive sounding, IMO).
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

3. Likes Tig***, kuvash liked this post
    North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Avatar 2/12 with the Eminence Legend 1218 speakers. I find they are perfect for blues, and that is all I play. An excellent choice in a speaker cab.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the Cannabis Rex.. Swapped out a Wizard in a Silver Noir Blues Jr III ... never looked back.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Heard good things about the Celestian Gold Bulldog.
    The Celestion G12-65 in my amp also works brilliantly for Blues and Rock.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. Avatar doesn't give the Cannabis Rex as one of it's speakers.

Funny thing, I may have a line on a cab (16 x 16 x 12; closed back pine cab) that has a Cannabis Rex in it. $250 plus 1/2 shipping. Might go for it.