Thread: Good prog music suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good prog music suggestions?

Hey all (*cough* Spudman *cough*)-

Wondering what you are listening to these days, specifically in the progressive circles. I have been listening to the new Flying Colors album a bit, a lot of this band called the Night Flight Orchestra (album: Internal Affairs), which is very good and very well produced, but I'm almost tapped out on them. Also had some time with Pyramid Theorem, which is very Dream Theater-esque.

Last band I've heard recently is called Bend Sinister, which I think is a Canadian band. They are decent, good influences and what not, but occasionally lyrically annoying and pretentious and a little heavy on the keyboard for my tastes, as their front man is a fat keyboard-playing singer.

Any good suggestions in that vein? I haven't heard much from Steven Wilson lately, and last I heard he was heading in a new direction as Porcupine Tree had become too popular or something. Same with Opeth; 'Heritage' was good, but didn't resonate in the same way that 'Watershed' or 'Ghost Reveries' did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hey all (*cough* Spudman *cough*)-

Wondering what you are listening to these days, specifically in the progressive circles.
    BTW, if you give me maybe 2-3 albums, there's a much higher chance I will look them up and listen to them. Too many suggestions leads to overload -- I'm sure you get what I'm saying.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man! There are so many good albums in the last 16 months. Since you don't want an overload check out the ones I've listed. Most are newer releases. You can also check out albums at Prog Streaming.com

The New Neal Morse is very good. "The Grand Experiment."
    Nathan Mahl - Justify
    Dave Kerzner - New World
    Threshold - For The Journey
    Von Hertzen Brothers - Nine Lives
    Flying Colors - Second Nature
    Camel - The Snow Goose (classic album)
    Glass Hammer - pic any album

If you want prog metal suggestions just say the word.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

4. Likes Tig*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to YouTube and check a) Haken and b) Between The Buried And Me. Especially Haken is a superb band with extraordinary ideas. Among The....has growls and clean vocals, if you like that.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of Steven Wilson's solo work and his band Porcupine Tree.
    Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet album is really good.

From his The Raven That Refused To Sing album, a bit mellow but the song builds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Go to YouTube and check a) Haken .
    Definitely Haken. However, I think "The Mountain" is better than the last two albums. Now they have a new bassist/singer and I really liked the previous guy.

A few more for you:

Dark Suns
    Mr So And So
    DeeExpus
    Lord Of Mushrooms
    Fish On Friday
    Flaming Row
    Jolly

Oops! Completely forgot Mind's Eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good resource for finding new Prog to listen to. Every week new albums and the ability to stream them.

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/index.php

http://weekendprog.blogspot.fr/2014/...sftw-2014.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Downloading a bunch now, and I'll see what sticks. This isn't really progressive, but I have been spending a lot of time with Mastodon and The Sword recently. In particular, I am finally branching beyond Apocryphon with The Sword. We'll see how that goes.

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded kind of a Glass Hammer discography -- any input on what few albums are the ones you'd recommend as highlights?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I downloaded kind of a Glass Hammer discography -- any input on what few albums are the ones you'd recommend as highlights?
    I like "Lex Rex" and "Inconsolable Secret"a lot, but it seems I usually have them on random play and am often surprised by a lot of songs from their other albums too. If you get into Glass Hammer then check out Kayak too. Another band in the same sort of vein.

Post Thanks / Like

Any Camel album is going to be a sure thing too. Rajaz, The Snow Goose, A Nod and A Wink all are good starters, but all their albums are good. Andy Latimer is a first rate guitarist and songwriter with indisputably the best guitar tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn near anything by Automatic Man easy to find on youtube.
    Return to forever
    Stanley Clarke album Rock whole album rocks here is the title track

Also the best underrated AXE from the 70's & 80's Ray Gomez

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

A super band before its time Todd "Bayete" Cochran was Stanly Clarke go to keyboardist for years has played with many famous folks.
    Mike Shrive of Santana Fame
    Pat Thrall made Pat Travers Band excel
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

The Automatic Man stuff from the 80s was really great and holds up well even today. That was Pat Thrall on guitar. Later he went on to make a superb album with Glenn Hughes (Hughes Thrall Band) and also played with Pat Travers.

Here are a couple from Karmakanic, some of my favorites.