Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Squier Strat coming.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Squier Strat coming....

Post Thanks / Like

Purple rain!!!!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Like the body color, not too sure about the headstock being painted. I guess it doesn't affect the playing or the tone. That is what these CVs excel at.
    How are the fret markers dots on the side of the neck? I found on my CV Tele Custom theywere hard to see. I use them a lot it seems. I found that out with the Tele.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

3. Likes Duffy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the painted headstock seems to be a "love-it-or-hate-it" feature, and I'm in the former camp. The fret markers on the side don't seem to be difficult to see--I rely on them a lot, as well.

The last couple of days I've been looking into how I want to re-wire the guitar when the humbucker arrives. I intentionally selected the DiMarzio Air Norton model because it's got just about twice the DC resistance of the Squier CV single coils, so when it's coil-split, it should match up with the middle pickup well. That's important in order to get the best possible "quack" from the bridge-middle pickup combination at position 2 of the pickup selector switch. The Air Norton also uses alnico 5 magnets, as do the Squier CV '60s single coils, which should also help. I came across a very clever way to wire the 5-way switch so that the bridge humbucker will be automatically coil-split when the selector switch is at position 2, but nowhere else. Saves the hassle of installing a push-pull pot, which is how I've always done coil-splitting in the past.

The wiring is more complicated than you might think, though. First of all, I don't know if DiMarzio humbuckers and Squier single coils are phase compatible with the stock wiring, so it may be necessary to connect the 'bucker in reverse to keep it in phase with the two singles. Also, that will affect which of the two coils is active when they're split. And that's important because if the winding and polarity of the active coil isn't the opposite of the middle (RW/RP) single coil, then the 2 position won't be hum cancelling. In which case, I'll probably need to swap the positions of the neck and middle pickups. Also, I've read that you'll get the best "quack" between the split humbucker and the middle pickup if the active humbucker coil is the one closest to the middle pickup, so the physical orientation of the humbucker mounting in the guitar matters, too. So you can see what I mean about it being complicated, and that's not even getting into the possibility of changing pot values....
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; August 10th, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

5. Likes Duffy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like... a project!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

My brain hurts.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Yeah, the painted headstock seems to be a "love-it-or-hate-it" feature, and I'm in the former camp. The fret markers on the side don't seem to be difficult to see--I rely on them a lot, as well.

The last couple of days I've been looking into how I want to re-wire the guitar when the humbucker arrives. I intentionally selected the DiMarzio Air Norton model because it's got just about twice the DC resistance of the Squier CV single coils, so when it's coil-split, it should match up with the middle pickup well. That's important in order to get the best possible "quack" from the bridge-middle pickup combination at position 2 of the pickup selector switch. The Air Norton also uses alnico 5 magnets, as do the Squier CV '60s single coils, which should also help. I came across a very clever way to wire the 5-way switch so that the bridge humbucker will be automatically coil-split when the selector switch is at position 2, but nowhere else. Saves the hassle of installing a push-pull pot, which is how I've always done coil-splitting in the past.

The wiring is more complicated than you might think, though. First of all, I don't know if DiMarzio humbuckers and Squier single coils are phase compatible, so it may be necessary to connect the 'bucker in reverse to keep it in phase with the two singles. Also, that will affect which of the two coils is active when they're split. And that's important because if the winding and polarity of the active coil isn't the opposite of the middle (RW/RP) single coil, then the 2 position won't be hum cancelling. In which case, I'll probably need to swap the positions of the neck and middle pickups. Also, I've read that you'll get the best "quack" between the split humbucker and the middle pickup if the active humbucker coil is the one closest to the middle pickup, so the physical orientation of the humbucker mounting in the guitar matters, too. So you can see what I mean about it being complicated, and that's not even getting into the possibility of changing pot values....
    I love a tech's take on modding a guitar. Most of the guys I read about seem to make their choices of components on what other guys use, and what is the "flavor of the month pickup". DC resistance has always been a big factor, for me in choosing a guitar and pickups. Also the pot values can make a huge difference in tone as well. A well thought out swap will make a huge difference in the outcome. Really like your take on it. I love to hear someone is as "anal" as I am when it comes to this type of
    thing, and mean that in a good way!.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

9. Likes Duffy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    ....I love to hear someone is as "anal" as I am when it comes to this type of thing, and mean that in a good way!.
    What can I say? That's how God made me!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Congratulations.

A black pick guard with black pickup covers might look awesome. Aged white pearl might look good too. I'm sure there are a lot of great ones that would go great with that guitar. Have fun checking around.

I just recently got the anniv. gold Classic Vibe Fifties. I dig it and have been thinking of putting a different pick guard on it too. I'm in no rush though, it looks good the way it is for now. It also has a beautiful highly flamed maple neck, all the way up the neck. It sounds and plays well too.

I'm sure you will be having fun with that burgundy mist CV.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post

The wiring is more complicated than you might think, though. First of all, I don't know if DiMarzio humbuckers and Squier single coils are phase compatible, so it may be necessary to connect the 'bucker in reverse to keep it in phase with the two singles. Also, that will affect which of the two coils is active when they're split. And that's important because if the winding and polarity of the active coil isn't the opposite of the middle (RW/RP) single coil, then the 2 position won't be hum cancelling. In which case, I'll probably need to swap the positions of the neck and middle pickups. Also, I've read that you'll get the best "quack" between the split humbucker and the middle pickup if the active humbucker coil is the one closest to the middle pickup, so the physical orientation of the humbucker mounting in the guitar matters, too. So you can see what I mean about it being complicated, and that's not even getting into the possibility of changing pot values....

When you determine exactly what has to be done with the wiring in for your full sized humbucker, you can talk to a Dimarzio tech and make arrangements to have the humbucker custom made so all you will have to do is drop it in and wire it up and it'll noise cancel and produce the optimum quack.

I had to call Seymour Duncan when I put the pickups in my Fender Nashville Telecaster. It only cost about ten dollars more for them to custom wind a neck pickup for my set of Alnico II Pro's.

After I found out what I needed I took the info to my local Seymour Duncan dealer and had them order it the way they told me, from Seymour Duncan.

It worked out great and when finished it actually noise cancelled completely in the two and four switch positions; where the stock Tex Mex pickups never noise cancelled hardly at all. It pays to think it out, needless to say.

You are going to have some fun with this one. I know you already knew the stuff I mentioned, but I thought I'd mention it for those that might not be aware of how complicated a seemingly simple pickup swap can sometimes be.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Nice. Congratulations.

A black pick guard with black pickup covers might look awesome. Aged white pearl might look good too. I'm sure there are a lot of great ones that would go great with that guitar. Have fun checking around.

I just recently got the anniv. gold Classic Vibe Fifties. I dig it and have been thinking of putting a different pick guard on it too. I'm in no rush though, it looks good the way it is for now. It also has a beautiful highly flamed maple neck, all the way up the neck. It sounds and plays well too.

I'm sure you will be having fun with that burgundy mist CV.
    CV 50s in Gold. When did you slip that one in?
    The Blues is alright!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12