Thread: Girls Can't Play Guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Girls Can't Play Guitar

Girls can't play guitar . . . yeah, right. I'd like to hear her guitar higher in the mix. The impressive thing is that she almost seems . . . bored at parts. Impressive indeed.

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I always wonder why it is so special when a girl plays the guitar well...we are all human beings, but I understand female electric guitarists are a rare breed :-)
    That was pretty accurate and fast but the sad truth is that somehow our world lost the view for real skills - just ask yourself why this video below, although she's not the untalented, has almost 3k comments...
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Stevie Ray; March 11th, 2015 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife just ran across that Tina S last week. She watched a handful of them even though she really doesn't care for that kind of music much.

Obviously, Jess Greenberg has beautiful eyes. And a nice voice.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

She was good at early age (although she is still young).

But let's be real - rock, blues and metal guitar playing is dominated by males. Why? I can think of couple of reasons.

1) Guitar players seem to be competitive. Playing the fastest, the most impressive/technical, etc. I think there are plenty of female singer/songwriter role models, but they aren't playing like EVH or Yngwie or Hendrix or Bonamassa, etc. I am guessing most girls aren't as interested in the competitive aspect.

2) There aren't enough famous female guitar players that can function as role models for young girls.

3) Sexism.

In comparison, playing the flute is probably more common for girls.

PS.
    It wasn't until 1982 that Berklee had their first female guitar graduate (Lauren Passarelli, who is now a professor there). They opened doors in 1945.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty badass! A muslim girl playing Lamb Of God and breaking the stereotypes!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1060301267343569
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    But let's be real - rock, blues and metal guitar playing is dominated by males. Why? I can think of couple of reasons.

1) Guitar players seem to be competitive. Playing the fastest, the most impressive/technical, etc. I think there are plenty of female singer/songwriter role models, but they aren't playing like EVH or Yngwie or Hendrix or Bonamassa, etc. I am guessing most girls aren't as interested in the competitive aspect.
    2) There aren't enough famous female guitar players that can function as role models for young girls.
    3) Sexism.

In comparison, playing the flute is probably more common for girls.
    I was just thinking about this the other day and I agree with the competitiveness. There's also some sort of visceral aspect to electric guitar that I think resonates a lot with guys (hence the popularity of classic rock, hard rock, metal) but not so much for girls. And for the girls it does resonate with, they find a musical landscape already absolutely overrun with guys who were attracted to the guitar and know it at least a little bit, so they pick up something like drums, bass, keys, singing (the less common but necessary elements for a band) and get into music that way.

It's an interesting, self-perpetuating thing (males and the attraction to electric guitar).
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be totally honest on this topic:
    I have a problem enjoying female musicians in Metal and Rock. I can live with female singers in Blues, but it feels strange as soon as they play guitar or even worse, the drums. The more jazzy and classical it gets, the more I enjoy female instrumentalists and singers. Especially in classical guitar and opera singing I don't feel that "looks and feels strange" barrier. ...and before you start dissing me here - no I absolutely do not have a problem with women :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain why you have this problem, Jimi?

Post Thanks / Like

In fairness, it could just be cognitive dissonance. Rock and metal are almost always soaked in machismo. I don't think the difficulty in reconciling them is necessarily a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

No deeper explanation at hand here. I started listening to Metal as a young kid and my favourite style of Metal was dominated by bands such as Metallica and Slayer. At that time I couldn't get into the whole hair metal thing under which also bands like Lita Ford, Vixxen etc. fell - the whole female metal artist thing was too fakey and blown up - sorry I just didn't buy it and still don't. There's so many female artists I totally love, but they do a different thing, have a different approach, just as the male artists I love listening to.

Post Thanks / Like