Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
If you're gonna have a purple Strat...

Thread: If you're gonna have a purple Strat...

Post Thanks / Like

Default If you're gonna have a purple Strat...

...you might as well have a SERIOUSLY purple Strat:

DiMarzio Air Norton humbucker (white, F-spaced) installed at the bridge position, with custom violet pearloid H-S-S pickguard from Warmoth. Also changed the single coil pickup covers and the control knobs to white. I am well aware this look won't be everybody's cup o'tea, but I really like it!

I still need to do some wiring work to split the bridge pickup coils in the #2 switch position to get as much "quack" as possible there. I had a diagram for that wiring change for a standard Strat 5-way switch, but the Squier CV's use a different switch with all the lugs on one side. Rather than try to figure it out on the fly and possibly bugger it up, I just wired the humbucker for normal operation temporarily, and I'll figure out the correct wiring for the coil split at my leisure. Incidentally, the DiMarzio humbuckers are out of phase with the Squier single coils if you wire them per the DiMarzio standard installation instructions. I had to switch the hot and ground connections at the switch, but at least I knew that beforehand from THIS TEST METHOD. No more finding out that I have a phase problem after the guitar is back together and plugged in! This is particularly helpful for Strats, where you have to remove the strings and take the entire pickguard off to get at the pickups & controls wiring.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. So I take it you will need to do some of the more intense modifications you touched upon in your other thread, yes? Do you need to do any flipping or swapping of pickups or anything due to the polarity differences or anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Candy guitar.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...So I take it you will need to do some of the more intense modifications you touched upon in your other thread, yes? Do you need to do any flipping or swapping of pickups or anything due to the polarity differences or anything?
    In this case, all I needed to do was switch the hot & ground connections for the DiMarzio humbucker vs. the stock installation instructions. Not only does that put the humbucker output in phase with the output of the CV Strat's neck and middle pickups, but it will also keep the #2 position of the pickup selector hum cancelling when the humbucker coil is split. This is important to me because I will next be wiring the 5-way switch so that the coils are automatically split at position #2, to get the "max quack" from the bridge-middle pickup combination.

Depending upon the phase and magnetic polarity of the middle single coil in a Strat or similar guitar with single coil pickups, you can run into four possible combinations of the signal phase and magnetic polarities with a split-coil humbucker. It can be:

1. In phase with the middle pickup and hum cancelling (the desired case)
    2. In phase with the middle pickup but not hum cancelling
    3. Out of phase with the middle pickup but hum cancelling
    4. Out of phase with the middle pickup and not hum cancelling (a total FAIL!)

Fortunately, with a 4-conductor humbucker of the type you use for coil-splitting, any of these four are possible, depending on how the 4 leads are connected to the switch and to each other (i.e. the "series link" between the two humbucker coils). As long as you know how the coils of the humbucker relate to the middle single coil, both in terms of signal phase and magnetic polarity, you can wire in the humbucker to get that "desired case" output. And the phase and polarity are easily determined by simple test methods before you make the connections. That's how I determined that I needed to swap the hot and ground leads when I installed the Air Norton last night.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

"Purple Haze all in my eyes,
    don't know if it's day or night,
    you've got me blowing, blowing my mind
    is it tomorrow or just the end of time?"

Definitely got this vibe!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you like that Air Norton? Isn't that rather PAF like?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It's quite a bit hotter than a PAF with a DC resistance of about 12.6, but it's an alnico 5 magnet, so it doesn't sound as bright & aggressive as a ceramic magnet humbucker. DiMarzio rates it as "medium output", but it still has a very nice clean tone. From the DiMarzio product page:

"The Air Norton™ started out simply to be the Airbucker™ version of the NortonĀ®. We thought it would make a distinctive-sounding bridge pickup with high-gain amps, but we soon discovered that it’s a radically neat neck pickup, too. The tone is deep and warm, but not muddy. It’s hot, but not distorted. It’s even got cool harmonics, which are really unusual for a neck humbucker. The patented Air Norton™ magnetic structure reduces string-pull, so sustain is improved; and pick attack and dynamics are tremendously controllable and expressive. "

It's commonly use as a bridge pickup when paired with vintage-style pickups, or used at the neck position with hotter humbuckers at the bridge. Obviously, I'm doing the former.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!